Chapter 19 - Getting Answers

~Bella's POV~

We are gathered round a table in the assembly hall, anxiously awaiting instruction for the new duelling club.

"Gather round," Lockhart says as he gets up onto the table and walks to the centre.  "Gather round.  Can everybody see me? Can you all hear me? In light of the dark events of late, Professor Dumbledore has granted me permission to start this Duelling Club to train you all up in case you ever need to defend yourselves as I myself have done on countless occasions."

"Yeah right!" I whisper to Bam, who smirks.

"For full details, see my published works."

He removes his cloak and throws it across the room before putting on one glove.

"Let me introduce my assistant Professor Snape."

Snape joins Lockhart on the table.

"He has sportingly agreed to help with a short demonstration.  I don't want any of you youngsters to worry.  You'll still have your potions master when I'm through with him.  Never fear."

"We may not have much of a Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher left though," I smirk quietly.

"We don't have much of one now, what are you on about?" Bam sniggers quietly.

Both teachers face one another and draw their wands, bow, turn and take ten steps forward before turning back to face one another.

"One," Lockhart says. "Two.  Three!"

"Expelliarmus!" Snape says as he waves his wand and points it at Lockhart.

Lockhart flies back and lands hard on the table, making some of us, including me and Bam, laugh.

"Do you think he's alright?" Hermione asks as Lockhart sits up.

"Who cares?" I smirk.

"An excellent idea to show them that, Professor Snape," Lockhart says as he gets to his feet.  "But if you don't mind me saying, it was obvious what you were about to do.  If I had wanted to stop you, it would have been only too easy."

"Oh he's so full of himself," I whisper angrily.

"Perhaps it would be prudent to first teach the students to block unfriendly spells, professor."

"An excellent suggestion, Professor Snape."

He turns and looks like he's not prepared for this particular suggestion.

"Let's have a volunteer pair.  Mr Potter, Mr Weasley, how about you?"

"Weasley's wand causes devastation with the simplest spells.  We'll be sending Mr Potter to the hospital wing in a matchbox.  Might I suggest someone from my own house? Miss Potter perhaps?"

Snape turns and signals our sister up to join Harry on the table, making Lockhart look nervous before he approaches Harry.

"Good luck, Harry."

"Thank you, sir!"

My siblings walk right up to each other.

"Wands at the ready."

"Scared, little brother?"

"I thought you didn't want to be our big sister."

"I don't."

They turn and take ten steps before turning and getting into position.

"On the count of three cast your charms to disarm your opponent.  Only to disarm... we don't want any accidents here," Lockhart says.  "One, two..."