Chapter 51 - Maze Task

~Bella's POV~

It's been a week since the 2nd task and we're walking out to the arena where the whole school and their guests are cheering and there's a band playing.

Dumbledore stands at the podium and holds his hands up to shush the crowd.

"Earlier today, Professor Moody placed the Triwizard Cup deep within the maze. Only he knows its exact position. Now, as Mr Diggory..."

Cedric's supporters stand and cheer.

"And the Potter children..."

Mine and Bella's supporters stand and cheer.

"Are tied for first position, they will be the first to enter the maze, followed by Mr Krum..."

His supporters stand and cheer.

"And Miss Delacour. The first person to touch the cup will be the winner!"

Everyone cheers.

"I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter. Should, at any point, a contestant wish to withdraw from the task, he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands."

He turns to us as we stand at three different entrances to the maze.

"Contestants! Gather around. Quickly!"

He steps down from the podium and the five of us gather round him.

"In the maze, you'll find no dragons or creatures of the deep. Instead, you'll face something even more challenging. You see, people change in the maze. Oh, find the cup if you can. But be very wary, you could just lose yourselves along the way."

He moves back to the podium.

"Champions, prepare yourselves!"

As we all go to our own entrances to the maze, the crowd stand and cheer.

"On the count of three. One..."

Filch sets off the cannon and Dumbledore looks at him but he shrugs and the headmaster rolls his eyes.

I head into the maze and turn back briefly. Crouch discreetly points to the left before the entrance closes on me and I can't go back.

Heavy mist set in, the maze is many stories tall.  As I start traversing it, creature noises are all around.  The maze walls begin to close in on me.  I make a run for it.  Fleur is running around scared, she is attacked and knocked down.  Viktor comes along and sees she's unconscious on the ground, he walks on.  I see her being swallowed into the undergrowth.

"Fleur! Fleur!" I call.

I'm too late, she's disappeared.  I send up a red spark into the air.  A heavy wind starts blowing, walls are closing in, I run until I see something shining in the distance and move toward it.  Viktor tries to zap me but misses.

"Get down," Cedric shouts.

I duck and Viktor gets zapped by Cedric, who then runs up and kicks the wand out of Viktor's hand.  He points his wand at Viktor's body as if to finish him off but I run up and intervene.

"No stop! He's bewitched Cedric."

We struggle.

"Get off me."

"He's bewitched."

We both run for the cup, pulling each other back as we do so and we stop when it comes into sight.

"Yes," I say.

We both run to it as we continue to push and shove each other as well as trying to outrun the vines that are attempting to grab us.