Chapter 46 - Ball

~Harry's POV~

"The Yule Ball," Professor McGonagall begins as we all sit together in the assembly hall – the boys on one side and the girls on the other.  "Has been a tradition of the Triwizard Tournament..."

She stops as Filch tries setting up the record player.

"Since its inception.  On Christmas Eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for a night of well-mannered frivolity.  As representatives of the host school, I except each and every one of you to put your best foot forward.  And I mean this literally, because the Yule Ball is, first and foremost, a dance."

The girls begin chattering while us boys start moaning.

"Silence!"

We stop the noise.

"The house of Godric Gryffindor has commanded the respect of the wizard world for nearly 100 centuries.  I will not have you, in the course of a single evening, besmirching that name by behaving like a babbling, bumbling band of baboons."

"Try saying that five times fast," Fred whispers to his twin and I watch as they try it quietly.

"Now, to dance is to let the body breathe."

She sways her arms out either side of her.

"Inside every girl, a secret swan slumbers..." She indicates towards the girls.  "Longing to burst forth and take flight."

"Something's about to burst out of Eloise Midgen," Ron says quietly.  "But I don't think it's a swan.

McGonagall turns to us.  "Inside every boy, a lordly lion prepared to prance.  Mr Weasley."

"Yes?" he replies none too happy to be addressed.

She comes over to him and pulls him up.  "Will you join me please?"

He joins her in the centre of the hall.

"Now, place your right hand on my waist."

"Where?" he asks in shock.

"My waist."

He places his hand on her waist and somebody cat whistles so he moves his hand up but she puts it back on her waist.

"Mr Filch, if you please."

The caretaker puts the music on and McGonagall counts as she leads Ron round the floor.  Fred and George begin taking the piss.

"Oi!" I say to them and they lean over to me.  "Never gonna let him forget this, are you?"

"Never," they both say together.

"Everybody come together," McGonagall says.  "Boys, on your feet!"

None of us move as all the girls stand but a few seconds later, Neville stands.

~Bella's POV~

I'm sitting in the common room, reading when Hollie comes in with Ben, holding his hand.

"Hey, when did you two get together?"

"When he asked me to the ball not ten minutes ago," she smiles.

"Speaking of the ball," Edward says, walking in.  "Bella, would you like to go to the ball with me?"

"I thought you'd never ask."

I give him a kiss and a cuddle.

In study hall, the whole gang are sitting with Jess, Fred and George.