Chapter 29 - Bella's Back

~Harry's POV~

At dinner, after the choir sings, Dumbledore approaches the podium.

"Welcome! Welcome to another year at Hogwarts.  Now, I'd like to say a few words before we all become too befuddled by our excellent feast.  First, I'm pleased to welcome Professor R. J. Lupin who's kindly consented to fill the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher."

"I hope he knows more than the last one," Neville smirks.

"Good luck, Professor," Dumbledore says as he turns and Lupin stands and bows as we all clap.  "Our care of Magical Creatures teacher for many years has decided to retire in order to spend more time with his remaining limbs.  Fortunately, I'm delighted to announce that his place will be taken by none other than our own Rubeus Hagrid."

He turns to the gamekeeper and McGonagall urges him to stand which he does and we all clap again.

"Finally, on a more disquieting note," Dumbledore continues.  "At the request of the Ministry of Magic, Hogwarts will, until further notice, play host to the Dementors of Azkaban until such a time as Sirius Black is captured.  The Dementors will be stationed at every entrance to the grounds.  Now whilst I've been assured that their presence will not disrupt our day-to-day activities, a word of caution.  Dementors are vicious creatures.  They'll not distinguish between the one they hunt and the one who gets in their way.  Therefore, I must warn each and every one of you, not to give them to reason to harm you.  It is not in the nature of a Dementor to be forgiving.  But you know, happiness can be found even in the darkest of times."

He waves his hand over one of the candles, snuffing it out.

"If one only remembers to turn on the light," he says as he waves his hand back over the candle, lighting it up again.

We head back to the common room and stop outside the door where the Fat Lady is holding a glass in her hand and trying to sing.

"Fortuna Major," Bam says.

"Ba, ba, ba," she says as she holds up her hand.

"Here, listen," Bam says as he turns to us, then moves to one side.  "She just won't let me in."

The Fat Lady continues trying to sing, or screech more like.

"Fortuna Major," I say.

"No, no.  Wait, wait.  Watch this."

She tries singing again, obviously trying to crack the glass in her hand.  The shrieking turning into screaming and we all cover our ears.

She smashes the glass against the wall behind her and a look of triumph appears on her face.

"Amazing.  Just with my voice."

"Fortuna Major," I say, more annoyed.

"Yes, alright.  Go in."

The door opens.

"Thank you!"

"She's still doing that after three years," Ryan smirks.

"She can't even sing," Ben says.

"Exactly!" I say.

We go to the bedroom and get changed before Ben pulls out a bag of sweet.

"What are these?" I ask.

"They make you make animal noises," Ron says before he hands one to Bam.  "Green, that's a monkey."

Bam puts the sweet in his mouth and then makes monkey sounds.

"Cool!" I say.

"What is that?"