Chapter 11 - The Forest

It's the first day back after Christmas vacation and it was the best Christmas I've ever had – I loved spending time with my siblings and my friends back home.

Now I'm sitting in the library with Ron, Harry, Hollie and Ben when Hermione comes in carrying a large book.

"I had you looking in the wrong section.  How could I be so stupid."

She dumps the book in front of Harry, making him jump.

"I checked this out weeks ago for a little light reading."

"This is light?" Ron asks and she gives him a dirty look which makes Ben snigger, which in turn makes Hollie swoon at him.

Hermione turns to the page.

"Of course, here it is... Nicholas Flamel is the only known maker of the Philosophers Stone."

"The what?" Ron and Harry ask in sync.

"Honestly, don't you two read?" I ask.

"The Philosopher's Stone is a legendary substance with astonishing powers," I tell them.  "It'll transform any metal into pure gold and produces the Elixir of Life which will make the drinker immortal."

"Immortal?" Ron asks.

"It means they'll never die," Ben says.

"I know what it means."

"The only stone currently is existence," Hermione reads.  "Belongs to Mr Nicholas Flamel, the noted alchemist, who last year celebrated his 665th birthday."

"That's what Fluffy's guarding on the third floor," Hollie says.  "That's what's under the trap door – the Philosopher's Stone."

~Emberlee's POV~

As Draco and me are sitting alone in the common room, me by the window, I spot the brats and five of their friends hurrying across the courtyard toward Hagrid's so I turn round.

"Those brats are up to something."

I head for the door to the corridor.

"Where are you going?"

"To find out what they're doing."

"Not without me."

He takes my hand and we hurry outside, and over to Hagrid's where we look in the window.

"You heard," Hagrid says.  "Right, come on now, I'm a bit preoccupied today."

"Wait a minute," Bella says.  "One of the teachers?"

"Of course," Granger says.  "There are other things protecting the stone aren't there? Spells, enchantments..."

"That's right," Hagrid says.  "Waste of time if you ask me.  Ain't no one gonna get past Fluffy.  Ain't a soul knows how, except for me and Dumbledore.  Ah, shouldn't have told you that."

Hagrid goes over to the fireplace and takes an egg out of the cauldron before placing it on the table.

"Hagrid, what exactly is that?" Ryan asks.

"That... it's... um..."

"I know what that is," Weasley says.  "But Hagrid, how did you get one?"

"I won it... off a stranger I met down the pub.  Seemed quite glad to be rid of it as a matter of fact."

"Are you seeing this?" I ask.

"They're going to be in so much trouble, come on; we need to see Professor McGonagall."