Chapter 20 - Spiders

~Bella's POV~

The eight of us, and Edward and walking through the courtyard.

"It was Hagrid.  Hagrid opened the Chamber of Secrets 50 years ago," Harry tells us.

"It can't be Hagrid," Bam says.  "It just can't be."

"We don't even know this Tom Riddle," Ryan says.  "He sounds like a dirty, rotten snitch."

"The monster killed somebody, Ryan," Ben says.  "What would any of us have done?"

"Look," Hermione says.  "Hagrid's our friend.  Why don't we just go and ask him about it?"

"That would be a cheerful visit," Ron says.  "Hello, Hagrid.  Tell us, have you been setting anything mad and hairy loose in the castle lately?"

"Mad and hairy?" Hagrid asks from behind and we all turn to look at him.  "You wouldn't be talking about me, now, would you?"

"No!"

There's an awkward silence.

"What's that you've got, Hagrid?" Harry asks.

"Oh it's Flesh-Eating Slug Repellent.  For the Mandrakes, you know.  Now, according to Professor Sprout, they've still got a bit of growing to do.  But once their acne's cleared up, we'll chop them up and stew them and then we'll get those people down at the hospital un-petrified.  In the meantime, though, you lot had best be looking after yourselves.  Alright?"

He turns and walks away.

"I think he knows we know," I say.

As we watch Hagrid leaving, Neville runs towards us.

"Harry, I don't know who did it, but you'd better come," Neville says.

We race after Neville until we get to the bedroom where there's a big mess around Harry's bed and even his bed is a mess.

Harry goes over and rummages through the books on the floor.

"It had to be a Gryffindor.  Nobody else knows our password," Bam says.

"Unless it wasn't a student," Ryan says.

"Whoever is was, they must have been looking for something," Ron says.

"And they found it," Harry says.  "Tom Riddle's diary is gone."

~Harry's POV~

Our Quidditch team is having a meeting and Oliver is standing at the front, discussing our game.

"We play our game, Hufflepuff doesn't stand a chance."

He moves away and we follow him out of the tent.

"We're stronger, quicker and smarter."

"Not to mention they're dead scared that Harry will petrify them if they fly anywhere near him," Fred says

"Well, that too."

As we make our way to the starting box, McGonagall is coming towards us.

"Professor McGonagall," Oliver addresses her.

"This match has been cancelled."

"We can't cancel Quidditch," Oliver says.

"Silence, Wood.  You and your team mates will go to Gryffindor Tower.  Now."

Oliver and the others walk away.

"Harry, you and I will find your friends.  There's something you all have to see."