Chapter 40 - They're Coming Here

On the way back to mine, I call Jake so he and Bam are there when we arrive.  I take Jake inside and he looks around.

As we come out, I got over to Edward and he puts his arm round me.

"Whoever it was," Jake says.  "He left his stink behind.  It'll be hard to miss when we cross it again."

"We'll handle it from here," Bam says.

"Seriously Bam, why are you still speaking for Jake when he's clearly okay speaking to me himself now?"

"Because I was made an honorary member of the pack, and Jake doesn't know what's good for you," he stares, giving Edward an evil look.

"We don't need you to handle anything," Edward says.  "Or anyone."

"I couldn't care less what you need," Bam says.

"Alright, we're done here," Edward says.

"No, you're done here."

"Stop! I'm tired of this.  From now on, I'm Switzerland, okay?"

Edward hates the idea but it's not about rivalry anymore.  It was about my safety, and Charlie's.  In the days that followed, I got them to at least try to work together.  The wolves took over so the Cullens could hunt.  It wasn't exactly an easy alliance.

It's been two weeks since the semi-alliance was formed, a day before my party and a week before the end of summer.

Edward is driving me to the treaty line to meet Jake and Bam because I'm going to the reservation while Edward hunts.

"I'm good here.  You should go," I tell Edward when we get there.

"I'm not gonna be gone long.  If he..."

"He won't touch me, Jake is gonna make sure of it."

"I don't trust him."

"Trust Jake."

"I don't trust any of them."

"Trust me.  I'm perfectly safe.  Don't rush.  You need to hunt."

He grabs me gently and kisses me passionately.

"Do you have to do that in front of me?" Bam scoffs.

"Maybe rush a little," I say when the kiss ends.

Edward gets into his car and screeches away.

"So, what do you wanna do today?" Jake asks.  "Bike, hike, just hang? Your call.  But we're going to a party tonight."

We climb into the car and Jake drives back to the reservation.

That night, the three of us walk down to the campfire circle down on the beach.

"Are you sure this is okay?" I ask.  "I really hate being a party crasher."

"Technically, you're a council meeting crasher.  You see? The council leaders, Dad, Quil's grandpa and Sue Clearwater.  She took over for Harry when he died."

"Okay, I should not be here."

I stop.

"Chillax, Bella," Bam says.  "I'm here."

"You're okay," Jake says.  "I thought..."

He sighs.

"I mean, they thought it would be good for you to hear the histories."

"The histories? The tribe's histories? Aren't they secret?"

"We all got a role to play, and you're part of this.  I mean, it's the first time Seth, Leah and Quil'll hear them, too.  But you two are the first outsiders.  Ever."