Better Unknown

This is a sad one

Because it's inspired by Hozier's "Unknown // Nth" from his latest album

Blame Hozier not ME!

.

.

.

.

You know the distance never made a difference to me
I swam a lake of fire, I'd have walked across the floor of any sea

As your carriage slowly drove away from the palace, you could see Loki's form waving at you from a distance.

He looked resigned, eyebrows flat, face unflinching, his lips pressed into a thin line. He bore no semblance of sadness nor hurt as you two parted.

But you knew deep down, somewhere in that darkened beating heart of his, that he was hurting.

He was hurting more than you.

Parting with Loki had always been bittersweet. You'd do it every year, every Midsummer when sorcery classes halted to give you, the students, some leisure time with your family. Often, you'd go home for a month or two before returning back to the palace to continue to hone your craft just before the leaves would turn brown.

Always bittersweet. Never uncertain.

Until now.

Happiness oozed from your very being when you received your certification of the highest form of education in the field of sorcery. Then, a sudden pang of dread and sadness hit you.

You don't live in the palace anymore.

And, you had no official place in court.

There were no ties holding you to stay in the palace— well— officially written ones anyway.

Now, in your carriage, squeezed with the rest of your luggage and light furniture you had collected overtime in your dormitory, you withered, lacking Loki's presence.

Your ancestral home was far in the North. A mansion standing majestically among the mountains in cool temperatures all year round. Quite a stark difference from the warmth of the central cities.

To be completely honest, you did miss the cold weather.

But was feeling the cool air nip at your cheeks and nose worth it to leave your love behind?

No.

Absolutely not.

Ignored the vastness between all that can be seen
And all that we believe
So I thought you were like an angel to me

The night before you were set to leave, you sat on your bed, looking at the plain furniture around you. They no longer had your personal touch, all your belongings had been packed into suitcases and massive luggage bags for your departure.

Your chambers looked barren. All of the memories that used to decorate the walls were all gone.

You couldn't sleep with the emptiness of it all.

A knock came at the door. You had an inkling who it was, so you opened it with no other questions asked.

Of course, it was Loki.

It always was.

"My dear, you should be resting." You said to him right after you laid your eyes on him. It was late, after all.

You opened the door wide enough for Loki to slip past you. He sat himself at the foot end of your bed, shoulders drooped, his hands neatly folded on his lap.  His eyes scanned your room.