Oh, Cupid.

Now before you say anything,,,,

I know Cupid is portrayed as a man,,,,

but,,,,

this is my fanfic

so

SHUSH
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

There were not many beings who are gifted in the art of matchmaking. Often, people find it confusing and intimidating, frequently thinking of the consequences if and when they mess up the matches.

Of course you found it challenging at first, considering the fact that there were millions and millions of people on Earth and your job was to match and tie people's hearts together so when they meet, they know for sure that they love each other. It was daunting, but luckily you had a knack for matchmaking.

Sometimes, you'd give in to stereotypes and matching people completely opposite from each other. Sometimes you won't, making the people who finished each other sentences be together forever.

It was heartwarming and entertaining to see the people you've struck with your heart tipped arrows finally meet and confess their feelings to each other. It never fails to bring you pride and satisfaction.

The gods were happy with your job and so were you.

No one complained.

“Another successful match.” Venus said with delight when you've returned to the temples.

“Yes, indeed. They're a wonderful pair.” you smiled brightly at her, placing your beloved bow and arrows up on high shelves.

You turned towards the goddess to properly speak to her. She usually doesn't start conversations, so this must be something.

She looked a little bit wary and was playing with the ends of her beautiful golden hair with her fingertips.

“What is it?” you asked politely.

“It's your next task,” she said bluntly and drew in a harsh breath. “I'm afraid it won't be as simple.”

“Tell of it.”

“Well, the next person you're going to strike with your arrows isn't as simple as mortals. Because... Because he's a god. Like us.”

“Oh,” Your eyes widened. “Who is it?”

“I'm afraid I cannot tell you for it is too sensitive. All I know is that you're going to hurt yourself sooner rather than later. This will be incredibly taxing on your body and powers. Please be careful.” Venus warned.

You nodded.

“And you'll need this.” Venus took out a beautiful silver dagger with a shining ruby red heart between the blade and the leather hilt. You can almost hear the ring of its power when she placed it in your hands.

“Whatever for?” you asked.

“You will know,” she said finally before looking out at the sun. “Now, go and find the god. Take as long as you need to.” Venus clutched your hands tightly before saying farewell. You grabbed your bow and arrows from the shelf as well as a bag filled with your necessities.

Off you go to Earth.

-------------

“By the Norns, Thor! I thought you knew Midgardian terrain?” Loki exclaimed exasperatedly at his brother when he concluded that they were indeed lost in some forest in America.