Dancing in the Moonlight

This night was proving to be harder and harder for Loki to let pass. "Why?" you may ask. Well it's because tonight was the night before Thor's coronation as king.

Of course many are happy for Thor's ascension to the crown, even Loki. But sometimes, sibling rivalry can get too much to handle.

"Loki?" you said while knocking on his door. He gulped down a whole goblet of wine before telling you that it was open and that you could come in.

"I was looking for you all day." you said after you let yourself in.

"Well now you've found me." said Loki before refilling his goblet with more wine. This concerned you to an extent, obvious that it was not the first serving of wine he has drunk.

"How many of those have you drank?" you asked in a concerned tone, quickly approaching him.

"I've lost count. Do you care for one?" he asked.

Up close, his cheeks were tinted pink and his lips were redder than before. You took the goblet off of his hands and placed it on the bar counter.

Loki sighed in disappointment. "Evidently not." he answered his question for you.

"Alright. What is all this about?" you asked firmly, crossing your arms infront of yourself. Loki sighed and turned his head away, not giving you a single glance.

"It's nothing." he dismissed.

"I don't think it's 'nothing'. Come on you promised to tell me anything and everything." you pleaded. Loki did not relent, but his eyes went dark and his jaw clenched tighter. You reached up and slowly stroked his cheek to calm him down, his jaw loosened and he sighed regretfully.

"I just- I don't feel ready to see Thor wear Odin's crown." Loki admitted and finally looked into your eye. He also leaned into your touch.

"You are as worthy as him, remember that Loki. He may have Mjolnir but that is the only indication that he's worthy. You don't need any of that. You don't need any thing, any prop, any weapon to show the world you're special. You have these," you pointed to his mind and to his heart. "And that is what makes you worthy." you smiled at him softly.

"I wish I could see myself through your eyes. I wish I could believe that I am special and worthy. But it's truly not that simple. If you have lived your life being the shadow and second choice, it's difficult to own and believe such things." you frowned sadly at Loki's response. But smiled just as quickly.

"That's why I'm here, right? To remind you that you are such things."

Loki chuckled softly. "Hm. Perhaps." he strayed away and opened the music box you gave him. The little sculpture of a boy reading spun around slowly while Loki's favorite musical composition played, this was by far Loki's favorite gift from you, it even out ranks the custom daggers you had made for him.

"What are you doing?" you asked him when he pulled you into his arms and wove a hand around your waist.

"Well, what does it look like we're doing?" you rolled your eyes at his response. "Your words mean a lot to me. But feeling your warmth next to mine is whole different sort of tenderness I crave."

You laughed softly. "I truly love it when you go all cheesy on me." you teased.

"Can't we dance in peaceful silence, wife" he looked down on you with mirth in his eyes.

"Only if you don't undress me with your eyes, husband." you answered back.

"My darling that is impossible and you know that."

You giggled happily and snuggled your head into Loki's chest and hummed when you heard his heart beating against your cheek. You swayed softly to the music until it was only the music box and the soft rustling of the trees were heard well into the night.

"Hey," you called to Loki softly when the both of you were laying beside each other on the bed. "I will always love you, alright?"

Loki shifted onto his side. "I know," he smiled happily. "Whatever happens tomorrow, I know you'll be by my side. I love you."

Little did you know that this was the last moment of peace for Asgard before chaos and catastrophe arrives.