It Will Come Back

Requested by Laer111ee

Not the title being a Hozier song 🤭

Anyways, enjoy!

.

.

.

It's a tedious thing to be anonymous.

Keeping track of your identities, for one. You have a whole spreadsheet (physical, of course) of your used "people", so to speak.

You had their names, their jobs, their families, their likes and dislikes, and the probable ways they could have died. All entitely fictional, by the way. You thought it best not to draw inspiration from reality, just in case it catches up to you.

You weren't technically on the run. You weren't running away from something— or someone. Still, it kind of feels that way.

You found yourself a lucky spot in rural Norway. You found a quiant house with a landlord who couldn't care less who lived in his property. He didn't know your real name, but you're sure that even if he did, he wouldn't rat you out so long as you paid your rent.

Perhaps he didn't care because that was just his demeanor.

Or, he forgot how to care after The Blip.

You were one of the lucky ones who didn't get dissipated during the snap. Still, you thought you were one of the unlucky ones who had to see humanity become worse before it got better.

That's why you resorted to anonymity and hiding after half of the universal population vanished. You knew it would get ugly. And, as a mutant, you really didn't want to get roped into any recruitment nonsense or worse, experiments.

So, a small little cottage in rural Norway was your best plan.

It was a nice day today. You had good progress with growing your little herbs in your garden— which, quite frankly, still looks a bit haphazard, but you know you'll get there eventually.

Wherever there was.

Your neighbors were the quiet kind, they minded their own business as you did yours. They would only really smile and wave at you on the rare occasion that you leave your houses at the same time.

You didn't know their names, and they didn't know yours.

Something weird happened a few days ago though. There was this sudden earthquake. Nothing too bad, just harsh enough to make the glasses in your cupboard shake for a few seconds. It wasn't reported on the news, though. Since they found no actual evidence of seismic or volcanic activity.

Regardless, you'd probably forget about it in a fortnight's time.

"What are you doing here?" You cooed at the little black cat nestling itself into a particularly flowery bush in your yard. You were just about to spray all of the vegetation in your garden with water, luckily you spotted the little guy.

The cat hissed, baring its adorable little canines to you.

Still, you didn't let its grumpy demeanor stop you. You reached out your garden-gloved hands towards it, beckoning the cat to gently get out of the bush.

It hissed again.

"If you don't get out now, you're going to be more upset and a hundred times more wet." You threatened the creature. Its bright green eyes widened, seemingly understanding your words.

Without another gesture or threat from you, it galloped out of the bush and sat itself on your porch.

"Good." You said, more to yourself than to the cat, and began to shower all of your lovely vegetation with their daily dose of water.