Accidental Pen Pals

When you opened your front door to bask in your new environment, you saw a singular letter on your porch. You picked it up to examine it. It was from England, you gathered, when you saw the stamp. And you also thought it might be from someone wealthy seeing the wax seal at the front.

You know of no one from England, so it baffled you for a moment. You went back inside and sat in your study to give the letter a read.

Dearest Brother,

As you can tell, I am very much alive and well so you need not worry about my being. I merely wanted to write to you across the ocean to greet you a happy nameday. You may suspect that I do not mean this sincerely, maybe you are right, but believe me when I say that I wrote this letter from my heart.

I know I was never one to explore and delve into the very bottom pit of my emotions, but I regret leaving a sour taste in your tongue before you left home. I know it has been years since we've spoken and I admit it is partially my fault. And although you feel indifferent about me now, mother has told me that you worry for me and she also has asked me to make amends and you know I cannot resist her. So I am asking you, dear Thor, to accept my invite for tea when I arrive in the New World next month.

From your dearest brother,
Loki.

You felt obligated to write back, seeing this man has asked his brother an invitation which he cannot know seeing as you received it.

Dear Sir Loki, you started to write.

I am sorry, but Sir Thor, the man you are trying to reach has not lived at this address for almost 2 months now. I have received your letter, and I will gladly write to your brother seeing as I know his current home address. I did not mean for it to sound so overly obsessive so I would like to make it clear that we are colleagues, nothing more, nothing less. By the time you receive this, I would have written to Thor. I only hope it reaches your brother in time.

I pray you received this,
The Lady in The Cottage.

You did not sign with your name for protection. You would never know who could be lying. That afternoon, you wrote a letter to Thor about his supposed brother and how he asked him out for tea when he arrives in a month. About a week and a half after you received Loki's letter, another arrived at you doorstep with the same wax seal and stamp.

Dear Lady in The Cottage,

I shall thank you most graciously for your act of charity. You could have thrown my letter away but you did not. Thank you once again. Writing from England to the New World is not easy. You never know what might happen across the ocean. I hope this reaches you, my lady; as I hope your letter to Thor reaches him in time.

Although, might I ask-and I bid you indulge me- but why haven't you signed with your true name? I do not quite understand the need for anonymity. Shall I write to unknown people mysteriously like you do? I feel its amusing.

From yours truly,
Loki, Silvertongue.

You were not going to lie to yourself, but you almost chuckled at the end when he signed his name. Silvertongue? Really?

Dear Silvertongue,

You are most welcome, I only did what I felt was right. A world filled with kindness and charity would not be a bad place to live in. Wouldn't you agree?

I am confident that your brother has received my letter, seeing he lives only 10 leagues away from I. I also pray that he accept your invite.

As for your indulgence, Sir Loki, I merely wanted to protect my home and identity seeing I am a bachelorette with the company of my cat, dog and garden plants. It is not for my amusement although I can use it as such. Perhaps you could try it if you grow bored enough.