1

Willow sat on the floor of the ward in the hospital as she looked at her pale palms. "I need more time," she whispered to no one in particular as she tried to think of solutions to her problem.

"Willow"

Her grandmother's frail voice called causing her to scramble to her feet and run to her side. "Yes, grandma?" Willow replied curtly. The old woman smiled at the young girl and raised her hand. Willow quickly took it. "Grandma please don't stress yourself," she said to her.

The old woman chuckled and smiled again. "I am supposed to be telling you that, my love. Don't worry about me, Willow. Go to school, I'll be fine," she said to her. Willow shook her head. "I don't want to leave you, grandma," she said as she held onto the woman's hand.

"I'm too tired to argue with you, child. Go back to school and study. I'm pretty sure you are meant to be in a class at the moment," her grandmother said. "But who will take care of you while I'm gone? Your hospital is so far away from me," Willow said.

Her grandmother rolled her eyes and patted her cheek. "Stop sulking, Willow. I'm alright, I don't need you to baby me at the moment. The nurses will take care of me," she said.

"You speak like it's easy to leave you," Willow said to the old woman. "Do you want me to call the nurses to drag your pretty ass out of her, huh? Enough with this conversation, child. Carry your ass out of here and be on your way back to school. No buts, call me when you've gotten there safely," Grandma Marie said to her and Willow swallowed hard.

"Yes, grandma," she said and stood straight. Her grandmother smiled. "I love you, my dear. Don't let my health be all you think about. Maybe you should find yourself a boyfriend to distract yourself from me," she said and Willow nearly choked on her saliva. "Grandma!" she exclaimed and the woman snorted faintly.

"It's very obvious you have zero social life; I can smell it off you. Other than working and study, find something else to do," she said and Willow rolled her eyes. "Whatever you say," she mumbled. "It's not like you ever listen. Anyway, get going," her grandmother said. Willow looked at her for a moment.

Even though she was weak and frail, she still tried to make everything look like it was okay.

"Bye," she sighed and walked out of the ward. She made her way to the reception and asked for the bill.

"Thank you," she said when she was given and then made her way out of the hospital.

The warm sun hit against Willow skin as she walked down the roads in UCLA. She sighed as she wiped the sweat off her forehead. "Why must June be so hot?" she moaned in annoyance as she placed her hand on her forehead which was slightly warm due to being under the sun.

Then her phone began to ring. Knowing who it was, she picked it up and placed it on her ear.

"Let's go and get ice cream, I'm starving," the voice of Evelyn Shawn filled her ears. Willow rolled her eyes. "I have to go to the library to study," she said. Evelyn scoffed, "The sun is enough to roast your brain and you still want to fry your poor brain with books!"

"Eve, I need to study," Willow said. "It's either we go on an ice cream date or you're going clubbing with me, you choose," the stubborn Eve said. Willow clenched her fist and sighed. She didn't have anything to do for the day and she'd rather stay indoors than go clubbing with a bunch of strangers.

"Where are we meeting?" she asked after a long silence. "That's my love! Our usual spot. Don't worry, bills on me," Eve said and hung up. Willow stared at her blank screen. "Just great," she said and turned around to leave.

Her eyes fell on a couple who were seated on the grass. The guy had his head on her lap while they talked about something. Willow could see the affection in their eyes as they laughed at each other and it made her sigh.

Even though she knew she didn't have time for love, she still wanted to know how it felt like. She wanted to know what it felt like to be loved.

A few minutes later, she walked into Andy's ice cream bar where she would meet up with Evelyn.

She spotted the black girl seated at an empty booth with her face glued to her phone. "Eve," Willow announced her presence causing her to look up. Evelyn grinned and stood up to hug her best friend.

"I still don't understand why you wear this much in this grilling season," she said, referring to Willow's boyfriend jeans and sweatshirt. Willow rolled her eyes. "I thought you wanted to take me out on an ice cream date," she said as she took a seat. Eve grinned and patted her cheek, "I'll be right back, my love!"

With a smile, Willow watched her best friend walk away. She was thankful for having a friend like her. They only met on their matriculation celebration day. Willow had accidentally spilled her smoothie on Evelyn's white dress. Embarrassed and scared, Willow promised to buy her a new one and tried to wipe the stain of with her hands. Evelyn laughed at her behavior and told her not to worry saying she didn't really like the dress.

"Stop spacing out, Willow," Willow looked up to see Evelyn placed their treats in front of her and taking a seat beside her. "I got your favorite; chocolate with skittles," Evelyn said. Willow smiled, "Thank you, Eve."

They began to eat and Willow couldn't help but take in Evelyn's features. Her dark skin was always glowing and healthy, matching her slim figure and making her look like a model straight out of a magazine.

Due to the fact that the weather was hot, Evelyn had braided her in just eight cornrows. At times, Willow would get jealous of her black traits. Unlike her, Evelyn would get second glances from everyone that passed by her. She was popular in school with everyone which made Willow wonder why she was still her friend, not to talk of best friend.

"What are you thinking about now?" Evelyn asked her. Willow shook her head and continued to eat her ice cream. "Nothing," she said and Eve narrowed her eyes but deciding to let it go.