Chapter 4

Week 5 came quicker than any of the other weeks had. This week, I arrived far later than I had the previous weeks. My personal life was getting hard to manage. I had a hair appointment and a nail appointment early that morning. Violet understood but didn't tell me when I'd get there, she'd be in her weekly AA meeting.

I signed in as usual, got my visitor badge, and headed back like I always did.

I went to her room to drop off the small bag of stuff to get her through the next week.

I waltzed the hall to see Violet and several others, including Andy, in the AA meeting.

"You guys need to find sponsors to keep yourself in the program once you leave Betty," the lead spoke.

"I'll sponsor Violet," I commented.

She turned her head to the sound of my voice.

"You'll sponsor Violet?" the lady asked.

"You'll sponsor me?" Violet remarked happily.

"Yes. I mean I don't drink. I really want to be there for her, you Violet," I told them both.

"Well then come and join in and we will discuss more after the meeting," the leader of the meeting spoke.

Whoever was sitting next to Violet gave their seat up for me.

"Thank you," Violet whispered to me.

I smiled at her.

"You are like the sister I never had. We got this," I told her.

She smiled.

I felt like I was being stared at and I glanced up. Andy, well, Ralph, was staring at us. As soon as I looked up, he turned his attention away from us.

My heart hurt for him. His heavy energy loomed though you could tell he was getting healthy just like Violet and the others in the program. He had it all. And, we all know what he did to himself. And, for some reason, I could tell he still didn't believe in himself. Maybe I was to change that? 

We sat there and listened to the AA meeting.  They wanted the sponsors to go to a training which ultimately would be helpful in the long run. The meeting was dismissed but I had to stay back to schedule the training.

I would have to attend two days, Thursday and Friday. Because of my work schedule, I had to do it in the evenings. But, again, anything for Violet.

We went back to Violet's room to hang out for a bit. 

"I can't believe you are gonna be my sponsor at AA," Violet remarked shocked.

"I told you I got you. We got this," I replied to her as she grabbed the bag of goodies.

She smiled.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you. My grandma is letting me move in with her. She's getting my apartment sold and I need you to stop by my old apartment next Saturday to get some things before coming here," Violet told me.

"Your grandma? She's here?"  I asked her.

Violet and her Grandma Mary (her mom's mother) did not have a very good relationship after Violet's mom passed away. She lived in Charleston, NC, and didn't even want to see her after the first hospital visit months ago.

"Yes, Grandma Mary called on Thursday night and told me she's moving out here. She found a really nice condo off the beach and wants to start over with everything," Violet explained to me.

I sort of sighed in relief. Violet would have supervision when I wasn't around. 

"That's great news, Violet. I'm so glad that Grandma Mary finally came around," I told her with a smile.

"I think Mama up there had something to do with it. Things have been terrible all around and I think somehow my mama got it fixed down here. I mean look at me. I was so close to death 7 weeks ago. Now, I've been sober for 6 weeks and I'm building my strength a little more each day," Violet explained proudly.

"Just one more week and you'll be done with the program," I told her excitedly. 

Violet smiled.

"One more week," she remarked happily.

My mind was all over the place. I now had training to do later this week to be Violet's sponsor. I had to go to her old apartment and get the things she wanted to wear out of there when we brought her home. But, in the back of my mind, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen to Andy. I know his brothers were the Bee Gees. But, he seemed to loom in the shadow of his brothers even in rehab.

"(Y/N), yoo-who," Violet moved her hand in front of my face.

"What I'm sorry," I remarked.

"You didn't hear a word I said, did you?" Violet asked chuckling.

"I'm sorry I was thinking," I told her.

"I'm sorry," she remarked worriedly.

I shook my head.

"No don't be. I'm just trying to get everything planned out," I told her.

I wasn't gonna tell her my worries. She had enough of her own. But, she had a new chapter coming and I couldn't wait for her to enter that new beginning.

"I know you would do this in high school," she told me as she opened up the pack of gum I brought her.

"I have to be 10 steps forward," I told her.

"Yes, I remember that," Violet told me.

The time of the visit slowly came to a close. We said our goodbyes. I was walking towards the exit when I heard my name from the distance.

It was Andy.

"Oh hey," I remarked.

"Hi," he told me.

"I, I was just leaving," I told him.

"I know it was you," he told me.

"Me? For what? Did I do something wrong?" I asked him.

Andy chuckled.

"No no, you didn't do anything wrong. Thank you for the care package. You are the only one that I can figure out that would do such a kind thing," he told me.

I smiled and looked down.

"Look I just, I like spreading kindness. And I really wanted to bring someone else sunshine like I am trying to Violet," I told him.

"That's very kind of you. You don't find people nice like your demeanor anymore. And you are Violet's AA sponsor. No normal friend would be willing to do that," he told me.

His energy was different when he was talking. He wasn't sad at this moment. Perhaps he was just human and fed off people too.

I glanced up and his eyes had cleared of the dark energy temporarily. 

"You know, next week you guys get out. Is there anything that I could bring to you? Anything special?" I asked.

I don't know why I even said what I did. I hate being so kind.

Andy looked at me.

"I don't expect that from you. You are too kind and showed me kindness already," he told me

I shook my head.

"Look, you and Violet are gonna be getting out next week. I probably will never see you again so I want to do something special," I told him.

He paused for a moment. 

"I don't think it will be like that. I could use someone like you and of course Violet," he admitted.

"I love the idea of having a new friendship. If you can't tell, it's only been me and Violet since preschool," I joked.

Andy chuckled.

"Then this won't be goodbye. It's see you later," he told me as he shook my hand.

"See you later," I told him.

A fresh chapter of friends and new beginnings is on the horizon.