Chapter 68

Time was quickly passing by. With letters and 2 phone calls from Violet, it didn't seem like she had already been in Amsterdam for 2 months.

Andy's birthday was in 6 days. He didn't want to celebrate but I wanted to do something nice for him. The only thing was I'd be at work till 3:30 that day. But, I was thinking of celebrating the weekend after.

Andy had been at an appointment so all my inner thoughts and talking out loud were just to myself.

Andy got to the house around 5:15.

I had dinner in the oven warming up. 

"Hi, darling I'm home," Andy called into the house. 

"I'm right here," I commented from the couch.

I was lost in the romance novel I was reading.

Andy joined me on the couch.

"How was your day darling?" Andy asked me as he kissed my forehead.

"It was good," I commented distracted.

The book I was reading was enemies to lovers story and now they had just gotten together.

Andy stared at me and my book.

"What's so great about the book?" Andy asked curiously.

"It's just they were enemies and now they are lovers," I remarked as I tried to finish the chapter.

"I've never seen you so enthralled in a novel before," Andy commented as he sat down next to me.

"Shhhh I'm almost done," I told him as I couldn't believe the plot twist about them moving to Aruba to live their new life together. 

Andy chuckled as he waited for me to be done with the book.

After finishing the book, I concentrated on Andy.

"I feel bad I'm so sorry I wanted to finish that book,"  I told him.

"It's okay darling," he reassured me.

"Well let's focus on you. How was your day? How were your appointments?" I asked him.

Andy had finally been regularly seeing a cardiovascular doctor. After playing tennis with Barry, everyone noticed Andy would turn extremely red and sometimes had difficulty catching his breath. So, after seeing his regular doctor, they set him up with a cardiovascular doctor. He also regularly sees his therapist now that things are more stable again for him. He went on Friday afternoons which helped him reflect on the AA meetings.

"Well the doctor said I can still play tennis but not as intense. My heart isn't as great as it should be because of the dumb things I did years ago," he commented.

"Are you at risk of a heart attack?" I asked him.

"Yeah higher than it should be but as long as I keep up the healthy eating and stuff, the doctor told me I could live till I'm in my 80s with no problems as long as I keep up the healthy mindset," he told me.

 I was really sad and scared for him. Who knows what other damage he did to himself with drugs? I couldn't bear the thought of him dying. 

I kept looking at him. It hurt me to know even though the doctor said he could live a great life that it could disappear if something went wrong mechanically in his body.

"Darling?" Andy looked at me.

"I'm sorry I just had a thought of something and it didn't sit well with me," I told him.

I wasn't gonna say exactly what I thought.

"I'm not going anywhere," he told me as he kissed my forehead for reassurance.

I sighed. 

"How did the other appointment go?" I asked him trying to change my focus.

"Well my therapist said I should be proud of the fact I've been attending AA for almost a year now. He was really surprised to find out we are also celebrating a year together," Andy remarked.

"Wait you talked about us?" I asked him.

"Darling one of the reasons I've stayed on track is cause of you," he told me.

"I just wanted the best for you. Even before I had feelings for you though Violet and Grandma kept saying we'd end up together and," I began rambling on and on.

He chuckled at me.

"You love gushing about us too I see," he remarked.

He looked so proud at the moment.

"Yeah shush. It's probably the cause of the books I've read," I told him.

"You could write a book about love too. You know that, right?" he asked me.

"I'm not a writer at all.  I suck at writing," I confessed.

"Just a thought darling," Andy told me as he stole a kiss from me.

"I love you," I told him quietly.

"I love you more darling," he told me as he kissed my forehead again.

No telling what the next year would hold.