Chapter 60

We jumped right into the New Year. I was trying to find my footing after all, this year would be a lot different than the past.  I had to meet with Grandma Violet secretly after work in regards to Violet's move.

"So you have the get-together for Violet's going away party on the 4th?" Grandma Mary asked me.

We had met up secretly to discuss Violet's move. Grandma Mary would be going with her. But, she'd keep the condo and have me and Grandma Mary's sister take care of it until they came back sometime next fall before Christmas. 

"Yes, it's all set. I am so proud of her yet I still cannot believe that I'm not gonna see her almost every day," I told her.

"I will make sure she stays sober too. Your progress with her is not gonna be destroyed," Grandma reassured.

"I know she'll be safe and sound. I also know that this new environment in the Netherlands may even push Violet into new territories when it comes to her healing," I commented.

"Yes, I've heard new environments help. That's one reason I bought the condo for her to start fresh at after AA. And I think this will be an even bigger help," she remarked.

"And you guys will fly out on the 6th?" I asked as our waiter brought us our bills.

"Yes, and the flight is like 10 hours. We will be in Amsterdam and once we get there, we will send a letter and do a quick phone call," Grandma told me.

"Okay sounds like a plan," I remarked glancing at the clock.

I had to get going if I wanted to make it home before dark. It was a little before 5.

"I think we better think about heading out," Grandma commented.

"Yes I think so," I remarked as we each grabbed our bills.

We headed up to the counter, paid them, and then headed outside.

"Oh before I forget. Does Violet's dad know?" I asked curiously.

"No. We chose not to tell him. So if you see any letters in the next few months from him, you can open them we just will have you write a response so he doesn't know Violet is doing her own thing," Grandma explained.

"We shall do that," I told her.

"Okay well, we will see you in a few days. Happy New Year," Grandma commented as she hugged me.

"Happy New Year," I told her as we separated from the hug.

We went to our perspective cars and headed home.

When I got to my house, I was surprised to see Andy's car in the driveway. At this point, we were living with each other indirectly. Hardly did he ever stay at his house by himself nor did I.

I walked in to find Andy and Sam in the living room.

"Hello," I remarked as I put my purse and my work bag up.

"Hi, darling. I hope you don't mind me being here," he commented. 

I shook my head.

"No not at all. I'm glad you are here," I remarked as I went to take my shoes off.

I came back and joined him on the couch.

I sighed as the day's work settled into my bones. I had everything set for Violet's farewell party. But I wasn't ready to say farewell.

"Somethings wrong, isn't it?" Andy asked.

I sighed again.

"Sort of but not really. I cannot believe Violet's gonna be moving. I mean that probably sounds so selfish but she's like the only family I have out here sibling-wise. Now that's going to be going off with Grandma Mary, I'll have no family," I told him.

"That's understandable and got to be difficult darling. I know this change will be hard but I'll be here every step of the way. I mean you did nurse Violet back to health indirectly and have stood by her every Thursday with the AA meetings," he expressed.

"Tomorrow will be our last AA meeting together," I commented.

"And then after that, we will continue to go to keep my sobriety in check. I've never felt better before and it's all cause of your willingness to stand by me," he told me.

"Of course, I mean you being your best isn't just cause of me. You want it so you do what you have to get to the top," I explained.

"Yeah, but you showed me how important being sober is. I'm living a very clean life now," he told me.

"And I'm proud of you for it," I told him.

"So how was work?" he asked to change the subject.

"Well it was good I guess I mean none of us wanted to be there. It's just like we all know that tomorrow we have off so I mean we lollygagged all day," I commented with a chuckle.

Andy laughed.

"That's funny darling. I mean if I had a regular 9-5 job, I definitely would not work if I knew I had tomorrow off," he replied.

It was also weird cause when I thought back to a year ago, New Year's Eve, Andy and I had our first kiss.

"You know what I was thinking, a year ago today we had our first unofficial kiss," I blurted out randomly.

Andy smiled.

"Wait really? That's true," he remarked.

"So technically our story started a year ago," I told him.

"That's crazy how the year flew by," he remarked.

To an unexpected New Year.