Chapter 21

"So you have an official date planned for Saturday night with Andy?" Violet asked as we drove home from her AA meeting.

Since last Saturday, I've been floating on cloud 9 because something good finally happened to me. Though, I shouldn't be so cocky about how life was going.  I had a stable job, a best friend, and now possibly a boyfriend.

"Yeah, we're going on Saturday afternoon for food. But, I wonder how long he's gonna take to actually ask me to be his girlfriend," I told Violet as we pulled into the local soda joint.

We kept the tradition of getting a soda after her meeting.

"Wait he hasn't actually asked you yet?" Violet asked.

I waited to reply after we ordered.

After we pulled up to the window to pay, I replied.

"Going back to our conversation, yes he hasn't officially asked. I really think that he's still very sensitive and afraid of certain feelings with women. I mean," I remarked.

Violet sighed.

"So is it actually going to be worth it for the relationship?" Violet asked me.

"I mean I really don't know. Time will tell I mean I don't want to just throw myself at him. He showed me he was ready to at least attempt a relationship so let's see how it goes. And if it ends up being something I don't want, I won't hesitate to stop the relationship," I told Violet as we pulled up to the window to get our drinks.

"But you can't walk away from Andy. He needs you more than you think now," Violet told me.

"Uhm," I remarked as we pulled out of the restaurant. 

"You are going to have to separate your feelings if things get difficult. You'll still have to be friends with him at least. You don't want to leave a bad taste in his mouth," Violet expressed.

I laughed. I didn't mean to. But her last statement to me was funny.

"I-I don't really don't want to leave him at all but I also would never leave a bad taste in his mouth," I told Violet as we arrived at her house.

"I'm just preparing you for the worst," she told me as we side-hugged.

I sighed.

"I know," I told her.

"What I do know is he isn't another Jackson," Violet remarked with a smile.

I smiled at her. I knew she was just trying to protect me.

"See ya later," I told her.

"Bye," she commented as Grandma Mary greeted her on the porch.

I drove home and prepared mentally for Andy's weekly call. Though since earlier in the month, we've talked more than just on Thursdays. 

I got home and immediately went straight to the shower. I was nervous more now than ever about the phone call with Andy. 

As usual, right on time at 8:30, the phone rang.

"Hello," I spoke into the phone.

"H-hi," Andy's voice nervously came over the phone.

"How are you?" I asked politely.

"I'm good how are you? How did Violet's AA meeting go?" he asked.

"It went well. She's on week 3 of her new sobriety. I think she told you the other day. She did relapse but she's back on the straight track," I told him.

"I cannot believe a man would do that to her. Peer pressure really sucks," Andy replied.

I sighed. He was right.

"Yeah and I mean I get the idea that drinking is fun to some. But, not when your life goes on the line for it," I commented.

"Never again," Andy expressed.

"Soooooo," I commented.

He chuckled.

"Yesssss?" he asked me.

"What are we gonna do on Saturday? So I know what to dress in," I told him.

"Well, I have some restaurant reservations at this one little restaurant down the street from your house. That Italian one. And I was thinking since by the time we get out of dinner we could go catch a movie or something?" Andy explained.

"That sounds perfect I'm looking forward to it," I told him.

I had this stupid goofy grin on my face. Thank god he couldn't see the way I was smiling.

"What movie would you like to go see? Any particular in mind?" Andy asked.

"Well, there is one I read in the paper the other day called "Death of an Angel." I'm not sure if it's still in theaters or if it's one of those paid-for TV movie deals," I commented.

"I'll look into it. If it's a paid-for TV movie, we can come back to my place and watch the movie if you would like," Andy told me.

I knew I was an adult but damn being alone with a guy for the first time in hundred years in a different perspective?

"I think that would be lovely," I remarked.

"Perfect," Andy remarked.

Another conversation for the books.