Chapter 37

"New York is where I'd rather stay, I get allergic smelling hay," I remarked as I looked out the hotel window.

We had arrived in New York a few hours prior. All around we were all exhausted. Andy and I had one room while Violet and Grandma Mary were across the hall from us.

Andy was laughing at my remark. Most people my age grew up with reruns of Green Acres so that theme song was burnt into my brain.

"So are you saying that you are Lisa and I am Oliver?" he joked.

I laughed.

"I'm not even a rich lady so no," I replied chuckling.

"You are rich in some things," he commented as he joined me in the stare out the window.

It was probably one of the prettiest views I've ever had while at a hotel.

"True," I remarked as I looked back at him.

We both were totally exhausted and it was starting to show. One thing Andy had finally told me was how his heart was weakened by drug and alcohol use. So, things sometimes so easily make him twice as exhausted. 

"Has anyone put two and two together that were uhm an item?" I asked him.

"No I think we are still in the clear but in the next few days, I'm sure it's gonna go public and I'm fine with that," Andy told me.

"Right, it's not like we're teenagers. We've developed the relationship without the spotlights," I expressed as I fought back a yawn.

It was only 4:00. We had dinner to think about.

"I never thought of it that way," he replied as I noticed clouds in the distance. 

I saw flashes of lightning.

"Is it gonna rain?" I pondered out loud.

"Perhaps darling I mean who knows? I guess we could eat an early dinner and then come back and relax?" Andy commented.

"We can do that I mean we could also do room service if it's not an arm and a leg," I told him chuckling.

"I think that's a better idea," he commented as the hotel phone rang.

"Who the?" I remarked as I ran to grab the phone.

Andy chuckled.

"Uhm hello?" I answered.

"Hi, it's me," Violet's voice came over the phone.

"Oh hi," I replied chuckling.

"So how's the room? Is it what you thought it would be?" Violet asked.

"It's perfect I think the best thing is the view," I told her as Andy looked at me confused.

"Who is it?" he whispered.

"Violet," I commented.

"Oh," he remarked back as he sat down next to me.

"So Grandma and I decided just to get room services. We are both too tired to go out for dinner," Violet told me.

"Oh good. Andy and I were feeling the same," I told her.

Violet laughed.

"Great minds think alike," Violet remarked.

"Yeah, so we will then just see you maybe after dinner?" I asked her.

"Sounds like a plan," Violet told me.

"Okay bye," I told her.

"Bye," she commented as the phone clicked.

"So?" Andy asked.

"Violet and Grandma do not want to go out for dinner either," I told him.

"I'm glad we're all on the same wavelength," he remarked.

I yawned as I stood up and stretched my body again. I was used to traveling sometimes for work. But, for pleasure was a totally different story.

Andy turned the TV on to see if anything was playing. 

"I don't think we usually watch TV at this time. Usually, we are getting ready to eat and go to the AA meeting," I remarked as I looked out the window again.

There was definitely a storm building.

"That's right today is Thursday. No wonder I want to eat early," Andy commented.

"Wait so tomorrow's the fourth. I wonder if there is anything we can do in the evening to celebrate the fourth," I replied.

"I'm sure there's several firework shows in and out of the city. We just got to ask maybe the front desk in the morning about it," he told me.

"True," I told him as Andy found the room service menu.

"Come here darling," he told me.

I glanced out the window one more time and the lightning was closer.

"Okay, what am I looking at?" I asked as I looked over his shoulder at the paper.

"It's the room service paper with the things they serve silly," Andy commented.

"What's the cheapest thing on the menu?" I asked.

He laughed.

"Darling you don't have to do that," Andy told me.

"I don't want to order anything for 15 bucks like that steak holy crap," I remarked as I read the prices.

I had money. I wasn't poor. 

"I think you should order the steak if you want to. Darling, you only live once," he commented.

I kept scanning over the menu and saw a soup and salad for 12. That was a little better.

"I'll just do the soup and salad," I told him.

"T-that's it?" Andy asked.

"Yes. Oh I should say no tomoatoes or cucumbers in the salad," I commented.

"Are you sure?" he asked.

"Yes I'm sure," I told him.

Andy dialed the room service and got our food ordered.

"Okay it should be here in about 25 mintues," Andy commented.

"Okie dokie," I remarked.

I looked at the window and rain drops were trickling down the pane.

"Oh look," I remarked as I stood up.

He chuckled.

"What?" he asked.

"It's finally raining," I told him.

He followed me to the window.

"It's raining. Wow that looks pretty," he commented.

"I love rain," I commented.

"It's very peaceful," he told me as he wrapped me in a hug from behind.

"I always thought as a renewal since rainbows happen after rain," I told him.

"I think that's a very true statement darling," he told me.

"Maybe but its how I feel. Other's may not feel that same way that I do," I told him.

"Well I for one do. I think rain happens so we can have our rainbows. Like us," he told me.

I smiled at him.

"Yeah?" I asked him.

"I was stuck in a rain storm and then you my rainbow came along," he told me quietly.

I leaned my head back to see his facial expression.

He looked so proud.

"Instead of me being sun and rain, I was your sun and your rainbow?" I asked him.

"Yes," he told me as he kissed my forehead.

Before I could respond, our room service arrived.

"Let's go get that," he told me.

"I'm starving," I commented.

To our weekend in New York.