Chapter 23

"He ordered a beer?" Violet asked me.

We were sitting out on her porch and I had been on a second date with Andy a few days prior. But he ordered a beer. I was really confused because I thought he was in AA and had a sponsor.

"Yeah I mean I don't know what to say or do because it's really none of my business on that aspect because he's an adult. But, like, what do I do?" I asked her.

She smiled.

"For once, I get to give advice? Well, I would ask him if he doesn't have an AA or sponsor. Maybe we can have him join my AA," Violet explained.

"Okay I could do that," I replied as I thought about it.

"When do you see him again? Has he even asked you to be his girlfriend?" Violet asked.

"I think he said he was gonna come by this afternoon. Oh god, what if he is asking me to be his girlfriend?" I commented panicked.

Violet laughed at me.

"Girl calm down. I think Andy would do that after a third or fourth date. Like you've said, you don't know him completely yet. You only know what he's shown you," Violet told me.

Violet being so logical was helpful.

I sighed. She was right.

"I cannot believe how smart you are sometimes," I told her.

She smiled.

"You live and you learn," she told me.

I looked at my watch. I thought I better go early to my house to calm down.

"I better go. Who knows if he'll get there earlier," I explained as I stood up.

Violet copied me.

"Okay call me as soon as everything is done," Violet told me with a hug.

"I will," I told her as we separated and I headed down the steps.

I got into my car and headed home.

I arrived at my house and my nerves filled my bones.

I went in and freshened up and waited for Andy to arrive. 

It was around 3:15 when he arrived.

I took a deep breath as I waited for him to walk up to the house.

He had a small bouquet of flowers. He was a real sap.

He knocked on the door. I took a deep breath and opened the door.

"Hi," I remarked as he smiled at me.

"Hi d-darling," he commented as he handed me the flowers.

"You shouldn't have," I told him.

"I wanted to," he told me as I gestured for him to come inside.

I shut the door and went to put the flowers on the coffee table as we sat down in the living room.

"How are you?" he asked to break the silence.

"Good good. How are you?" I asked him.

"I'm good. I've been working on some new music if you want to hear it maybe later on this week?" Andy asked me.

"I would love to," I told him.

I was nervous because I really wanted to ask him about the whole beer thing the other day.

It was quiet for a few. A defying quiet.

"Somethings wrong, isn't it?" Andy asked after a second.

I looked at him. He looked like he had done something worse.

I paused.

"No not really I mean," I commented.

"What is it?" he asked me with a concerned tone.

I took a breath.

"Well the other day when we were out, I-I noticed you ordered a beer. Not that it's any of my business but I thought you were a part of AA and not drinking?" I asked with the same concerned voice.

He sighed and shifted his body on the couch.

"I, well, I don't. I'm not a part of the AA thing as of right now. I tried but I ended up just not staying focused on it," he told me.

"Sobriety is a huge part of being successful in your healing. I know you are an adult and can make your own decisions but why don't you join AA? Maybe this can help you even more," I told him.

He sighed again. 

"Well I mean, I know that sobriety is something to celebrate and focus on. I just," he remarked.

"Alcohol only fills that temporary hole in your heart. What you need to do is find the thing that makes you happy and gives you those happy dopamines," I told him.

"If I did the AA program I  need a sponsor and it's a lot of work," he commented as he looked like he was on the verge of tears.

"You are more than welcome to come to Violet's AA and we can go the three of us every Thursday. I know there are people in the program that are willing to take you in," I explained.

He smiled at me.

"I knew you were put in my life for a reason. To keep me straight even when things go crooked. I would love to go with you and Violet on Thursday to get set up in the program," he commented with a small smile.

"I'll be here every step of the way. I promise you Andy I'm not gonna leave you in this alone," I told him as I reached for his hand.

He squeezed my hand as we stayed there for a second.

"So does this mean, not to change the subject, my original reason for coming over here was to see if you would like to go out again. Would you like to go out again maybe Friday night?" Andy remarked.

I chuckled.

"I see. Well, I would love to. But, can I plan it? I've never planned a date before," I told him.

His eyes lit up with curiosity.

"Of course you can I mean I'm all ears," he told me.

We changed the subject temporarily. He knew that I would be staying on top of him on his sobriety. 

"Okay, so I heard about this pottery class down the street from that little shopping center past my work. They do pottery classes every Friday night. I was thinking we could get a bite to eat and then maybe go over there and take one of their classes?" I asked him.

"Pottery? I don't think I've ever done a pottery class in my entire life," he remarked happily.

"I've been dying to get into something artistic. Like Violet paints so I wanted to finally pick up a hobby that I will stick to," I told him with a smile.

"I would love to. What time is the class at?" he asked me.

"The class starts at 6:30 so I was thinking we could get an early dinner like at 5ish and then after the class, we could stop at Dairy Queen or something for ice cream," I commented.

For the longest time, I had planned this in my head for someone I would be dating. Now, I get to explore how to plan dates without feeling pressured or even like I did something wrong.

He smiled so big.

"It sounds perfect where would you like to eat at?" Andy asked me.

"Well uhm I was thinking I could cook for us?" I asked him.

"You had me at cook I would love that," Andy commented.

"So it's set then," I remarked giddy.

Andy squeezed my hand.

"I look forward to it," Andy told me as he kissed my hand.

A lot of new things were going to be molded in the next week.