Chapter 27

"Violet, so you are done with classes till September?" I asked her as we sat out in my backyard.

Violet had finished her spring classes. She was about halfway done with her degree program. She was finishing up a painting that she started about 2 years ago before her spiral downward.

"Yeah, I don't go back till September so we get the whole summer to ourselves. Well, you know what I mean," she chuckled.

"Right well on the weekends, we can definitely do some beach trips and other overnight trips," I told her.

"Well don't forget about Andy," she told me chuckling.

"I wasn't forgetting about him. I mean we are really taking it slow. I don't want to hurt him and I don't think he really knows how I will react to certain things," I commented as she turned the painting towards me to look at.

It was the willow tree that I had in my backyard. She had added so many details of birds and such. 

"Wow. You really have the knack for painting," I told her.

She smiled.

"It only took 2 years to finish but there ya go. We just got to let it dry and then I need to get some sort of sealant for it," she explained.

"It's beautiful. I think it'll go perfectly in the hall," I told her.

"Wait the spot where I said it should go 2 years ago?" she asked.

"Yeah, I've kept it open since. I knew I'd get to have a special one-of-a-kind piece from you to hang up one day," I told her.

She smiled at me again.

"That's really sweet of you to say," Violet told me as she went in for a hug.

"Of course I mean I knew things would eventually change for you. Well for us I guess. Not the exact way I had anticipated," I commented chuckling.

Violet chuckled as she sat down next to me.

"I would have never ever thought Andy Gibb would somehow be our friend. Yet also be your boyfriend," Violet remarked as she gestured to the necklace I had on.

I rolled my eyes.

"Please Violet, you think I would have known this? I have his entire life in my hands and it's really scary," I told her.

"Scary?" she asked.

"I can't break his heart. It'll kill him. Do you know what his parents said about me? That I was good for him. That's a hard standard to live to," I told her.

Violet sighed.

"You'll be fine. Your heart is too pure. You could never hurt him," Violet remarked.

"I don't think I would be it's just the what-ifs," I told her.

"I know you love him. And not just for his name. Andy Gibb the person," she remarked calmly.

"I know I just," I replied.

"Overthink? Yeah I know," she told me as she side-hugged me.

The rest of the day went on and the days of the AA meetings continued to go by.

Eventually, Andy and I had another date. I had yet to meet his brothers.  Or have a proper dinner with his parents. 

After a date to dinner, we went back to my place. We had been officially together for two months.

"I was thinking maybe, next week uhm you'd like to uhm spend the night? At my place?" he asked very nervously. 

I smiled.

"I would love to I mean," I began replying.

"We can go to another pottery class next Friday maybe? And then we come back to my place to watch a movie or something," he commented.

"Or something?" I chuckled as I grabbed his hand.

"Yeah," he replied anxiously. 

I grabbed his hand.

"I would love to do that," I told him.

He sighed in relief.

"Also, you got to stop being so nervous. I ain't gonna bite ya," I reassured him before he replied.

He smiled at me.

"So then it's set then?" he asked me.

"Yes. I'll look into the pottery class for Friday and see if they have any spots left," I told him.

"I'll cook us dinner," he told me.

"Really?" I asked him.

"Yeah I mean I know how to cook," he commented with a chuckle.

"No I know that but that sounds really nice," I explained.

"Yeah, I love cooking. Though in recent years I struggled to even eat a meal most days, but I'm getting back to the things I love," he remarked as he grabbed my hand.

Did he indirectly say he loves me in that statement?

In my own head, I was reeling and nervous. I had not slept anywhere besides Violet's in 4 years. As a grown-ass woman, were these nerves unnecessary?

"I think it's gonna be wonderful next weekend," I told him.

"I think so too," he replied.

For a while, it was quiet. I think we both were in our own headspace about next week.

"So uhm," he started off quietly.

"Yes?" I asked him.

"I forgot," he commented.

He looked like he had something to say. But, he couldn't say it.

"Wait you forgot?" I asked giggling.

"Well yeah. Excuse one second,"  he remarked as he stood up and went down the hall.

I shook my head at his action.

It was quiet. However, his dog Sam had been wandering all over the house. As Andy disappeared, Sam came and sat by me to keep me company.

"You trust me, don't you? That means a lot, Sam. Ha as if you could understand what I'm saying," I commented as Sam stared at me.

Andy hadn't come back yet.

"You know I love Andy so you better keep acting this way with me all kind, Sam," I told him.

"I love you too," he commented from behind me.

I froze as I turned to face him.

"That's what I wanted to say a few minutes ago but froze," he remarked as he came back to join me on the couch.

"I, Andy," I remarked.

"Seeing you talk to Sam and hearing what you had to say was very heartwarming. I do love you. I don't know if it's too early to say it or if it's too late," he rambled off.

I kissed his cheek.

"You are doing everything right. I promise you. If you prefer to take it slow, then we will take it that way," I reassured him as I brought my hand up to his face to hold.

He looked down. 

"I just know I care about you and I do love you," he remarked.

I squeezed his hand for reassurance. 

A whole lotta love was being built.