Chapter 61

"I will write every other day and I'll keep you updated I promise," Violet told me.

She was headed off on her flight to Amsterdam and we both were crying. We tried to prepare for the goodbye the last several days. It wasn't easy. I didn't want this Saturday to come about at all. I felt lost really at this moment even with Andy standing by my side through all this. They had their flight for 7:15.

"I can't wait to hear of all the things you learn about Violet," Andy told her as they quickly said goodbye. 

I sniffled.

"I'm so proud of you I'm gonna miss you," I commented as the tears kept falling.

It felt like I was losing a part of myself. Violet was getting ready to live a new chapter.

"I'm gonna miss you so much. I promise I won't fall off the track. I will follow my sobriety journey even in Amsterdam," she commented as Grandma noticed they were calling for the flight.

I shook my head as I fanned my face briefly from the tears.

"Okay you better go," I told her with one last hug.

"You guys take care," Grandma Mary told us.

"You too. Call me if you can once you are all settled," I told them.

"Bye," Violet remarked as she walked away with her carry-on.

"God I cannot do this we got to leave," I told Andy as the reality set in.

I was a grown-ass adult having a breakdown over my best friend moving. It wasn't like I wasn't gonna see her again. She would be home for Christmas next year. But, we wouldn't be doing our Thursday thing, and we wouldn't be going shopping whenever we wanted to. I lost a part of me because of how spaced out the rest of my family is. 

"Love you," Violet shouted from the boarding area place.

I turned to see her waving while she cried.

"Love you too sissy!" I shouted back.

Grandma Mary waved as Andy and I disappeared through the crowd.

"It'll be okay. It's gonna take some time to adjust," Andy reassured me as we found our way out of the airport.

"I know I just feel like I lost a sibling. It's one thing for Violet to be doing great but it also reminds me of when she was sick and I know she's nowhere near that anymore but," I remarked as we got to the car.

"Darling look at me. She'll be fine. You will be fine soon too," he told me as he kissed my forehead.

I took a deep breath. I was just so overrun with stress and adrenaline over the last few days. 

"Let's go home darling but let's get something to eat. I know it's still early," he told me.

I glanced at the clock. It was a little before 7. 

"McDonald's?" I asked him.

"That sounds perfect," he remarked as we began the long drive out of the airport.

The drive was quiet once we headed out to McDonald's. All I could think about was a hashbrown and hotcakes.

Once we arrived, Andy asked me what I wanted before we pulled up to the drive-thru.

"Just hot cakes and a hashbrown," I commented.

"To drink?" he asked.

"Orange juice," I told him as he proceeded to pull into the drive-through line.

We got through the line pretty quickly and we headed home to eat breakfast.

Once we got settled, I tore right into the hashbrowns. Andy had ordered two for me. Would I regret it? Oh hell no.

We ate breakfast contently and then sat down on the couch. I was exhausted from how early I had gotten up. Andy was too. I had closed my eyes to rest them.

Sam must have felt my energy. He jumped on the couch and took his little nose and bumped me.

"I know you are sad darling even Sam knows," he whispered as I popped one eye open.

Sam was staring at me with a concerned look.

"I'll be okay I promise eventually," I remarked to both of them.

Andy understood but of course, a dog was worried because they mainly read off energy. 

Andy gave me a side hug.

"It'll be okay darling. Don't be afraid to cry," he told me.

I took a deep breath and sighed.  Trying to get adjusted to not being near Violet would be a task for the rest of the year.