Chapter 34

When I walked into the office, I was rather disturbed. Our new copyboy had been hired. And out of the hundreds of people who applied, the worst candidate possible was chosen: my ex-Jackson.

I went to find Deja to see how he got hired. She knew the whole thing as we went to college together.

"I really was hoping Jennifer would be hired," Deja told me.

"Why him? Did they give a reason?" I whispered.

She shook her head.

"He never graduated college officially so there's that," Deja told me.

"Is he on probation?"  I asked.

"Yeah he is," Deja replied to me.

"I hope he screws up," I remarked quietly as I headed to my desk.

Deja chuckled as I walked away.

Jackson didn't know what I was doing for the last 4 years. After the breakup, I graduated and didn't look back.

And to top it all off, I was actually finally happy in life. For this gnat to pop back into my life was not what I wanted at all.

I went and sent in my days off requests to HR and the vacation manager. Carlos was cool and always made sure to work with the employees. Since he was in the office, I was able to get them off right away which was very rare.

"So where are you headed on this vacation?" Carlos asked.

"Well my friend Violet, y'all know her, well her art is being featured in New York," I told him.

"Wow, are you for real?" Carlos asked as he filed the days off into my file.

"Yes, so she has this big exhibition coming up and you know how it goes when you are literally like sisters so I just need a few days off to get to New York and back," I explained to Carlos.

"Well you know me, family comes first. And anything to help out. Plus like secretly between us two, you are like the best employee we got so why would I say no to you?" Carlos whispered.

I smiled.

"I try my best Carlos for the company so I appreciate it," I told him.

"And it shows in your work," he told me.

And since Fridays were our short days at the office, I was headed home by 2:30. 

I couldn't wait to see Andy.

I waltzed in the house and Andy was sitting in front of the television. He decided that he would stay with me the whole weekend so he brought Sam over with him. Sam was lying at his feet.

"Hi darling," Andy remarked as he noticed me walking in.

"Hi," I commented quietly.

He sat up and shooed Sam from his feet.

"What's wrong?" he looked at me as I put my stuff down.

"Well, you'll never guess," I told him.

"Did someone find out about us?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"No no it's the new copyboy," I told him as he wrapped me in an embrace.

"What about him?" Andy asked.

"It's my ex, Jackson," I remarked quietly.

"The ex that cheated on you? How the?" Andy remarked confused.

"I don't know but I really hope he screws up his probation period there. I literally cannot stand him. He's an ex for a reason but my god not to be working with me," I told him as he caressed my back.