Chapter 18

"Why are you going all out buying items for a man?" Violet asked as we shopped at Sears.

"There's this guy's birthday coming up," I remarked as I looked through the shirts.

"A guy? You  know a guy?" Violet asked shocked.

"Yeah I know a guy," I chuckled.

Violet paused for a second before her eyes lit up.

"Wait," Violet commented as she looked at the stuff in my cart.

"Yes?" I asked her.

"These items are for a slim guy. Oh my god," Violet realized.

"Yes?' I asked her as I opened a box of cologne to smell.

"It's Andy, isn't it?" Violet remarked.

"I-uh well, yeah it is," I replied back.

"Wait but you two aren't together right?" she asked me.

I shook my head.

"No, we aren't together Violet. We are just friends," I told her as I put the cologne I found in the cart.

"But you seem so smitten over him. Why are you two not together?" she asked me as she looked at the stuff I had in my cart.

"I'm not smitten. I don't think it'll lead to anything anyhow. He told me he had a lot to unpack still in his life. I don't know him like that," I replied as we walked to the register.

Violet sighed.

"I see. I didn't know that he had told you that," she replied as the cashier rang me up.

"Right," I remarked as we finished up at the store.

We headed out to the car and headed back to my house for a little bit before Grandma Mary would come to pick up Violet.

"So how are your classes going? I know you said that one teacher wants you to paint the school's new mural," I randomly brought up as we arrived at my house.

"Oh right yeah, they asked me like what a week ago I think? And they will provide all the supplies. One of my teachers told me it would count as a final project or exam," Violet explained.

"Oh, that will be an easy final for the spring semester," I replied as I parked the car.

"Yes, definitely I think it will be the easiest A I've ever gotten cause the theme for the mural is new beginnings," Violet commented as we both got out of the car.

I went to unload my trunk as Violet went and unlocked the front door.

"Hey someone left you flowers," Violet called out.

"Huh?"  I asked as I looked up from the trunk.

"There's no card attached," Violet replied.

I sighed as I carried the bags up to the house.

"Bring them inside," I told her as we entered the house.

"It's the same arrangement you got around Christmas," Violet told me.

Then my entire head lit up like a light bulb.

"Wait it's all making sense now," I remarked.

"What?" Violet asked me as I ran back out to shut the trunk.

I came back in and just looked at her.

"Who is the person sending you flowers?" Violet asked me.

"I think it's Andy," I commented quietly.

"What?" Violet asked again.

"It's the only logical solution. At first, I thought it was Ethan the copyboy at work. He's wayyyy too young and yuck gives me the heebie-jeebies. But now, I'm thinking it's Andy. It has to be," I told her as I put the birthday gifts in the closet.

Violet stood there with her mouth wide open.

"And again why aren't you two together?" Violet asked me as I emerged from the closet.

"He said he wanted me to be in his life a while ago. This is how he's showing that he wants that friendship at least," I analyzed. 

"Uhm are you forgetting you kissed on New Year?" Violet asked me.

"Honestly, yes," I told her as I looked at the flowers.

  "See you are so smitten! Geez I wish I had someone like him in my life," Violet told me.

"It's just a friendship," I told her as I centered my focus back on Violet's comments.

"He likes you a lot dude whether it just be that "friendship" you said or in general as a person," Violet told me.

"He has a lot to unpack still and I'm not going to bombard him if I had feelings for him but I don't," I told her.

Violet sighed.

"See that's the problem. You DO have feelings for Andy. It's going beyond a crush now," Violet told me.

I shook my head.

"I don't think it's like that at all. I know how I felt when he said he had a girlfriend there a few months ago but I'm over him. I'm over that feeling," I replied to Violet as a knock on the door threw us from our thoughts.

I ran to answer it and it was Grandma Mary. Right on time.

"Hi Grandma Mary," I commented as I opened the door.

"Hi sweetheart. Violet honey are you ready to go?" she asked her.

"Yeah Grandma I am," Violet commented as she grabbed her stuff to go home.

I knew Violet was silently waiting for her license to be unsuspended. She was almost at the finish line on that one. She hated relying on everyone else to drive her places. And the bus wasn't a safe option anymore.

Before Violet left with Grandma Mary, she commented one more time on the Andy thing.

"You two will be together just mark my words," she remarked before leaving.

"Eat my shorts," I joked.

"Hey this isn't the Breakfast Club," Violet remarked back chuckling.

"Yeah yeah. Call me when you get home," I told her as she hugged me.

"Of course," she told me as she left.

The flowers of spring were beginning to bloom into a new chapter of our lives. Only the water would tell us where things would grow.