Chapter 44

Strangely enough, my mom had flown to California to stay with me for 2 weeks. Of course that meant a bit of uneasiness. Andy was at his own house for the next 2 weeks minus of course a few dates and stuff. Today, my mom and I spent the entire day shopping and browsing all through my favorite stores in the heart of LA.

My mom and I had a pretty decent relationship. Minus after she and my dad ran away to Canada after I graduated college.

So, I was sitting in the living room with my mom talking about everything including Andy.

"So you said you had a fight?" my mom inquired.

"Yeah, it was ugly and I mean I don't know how to really navigate an adult relationship I guess? I mean we're okay right now in the relationship but like everyone knows Andy and his previous issues," I expressed.

My mom frowned.

"Don't say it like that baby girl. It's one step at a time. And plus, your first relationship wasn't even a relationship in our eyes. Jackson was a jack-ass. That's why I am so glad they didn't end up keeping them at your work," she told me.

"Right I mean Jackson taught me what I didn't want in a relationship," I told her.

"So just take what you learned and try to keep this first real relationship steady. Andy isn't gonna hurt you like Jackson did. He really does love you. I can tell by the way he talks to you, holds your hand, and when he calls every day. They say if a man could they would and he does. He's just as scared as you are," my mom commented.

I sighed. She was right. 

"I'm glad you are here Mom to talk about this stuff with. I really wish you and Dad never moved to Canada," I commented as I glanced at the clock. 

We had been sitting here talking for 2 hours straight after dinner. It was now 8 o'clock. It was nice finally having family back in arms reach. Don't get me wrong, Violet and Grandma Mary are my family too but it is different when your own mom is in arms reach. 

"I know but we needed a new start and with things in America being sort of eh right now with Raeganomics, it's a rich man's world," my Mom remarked.

I sighed. I knew it was a lot cheaper for both of my parents to live somewhere else. Especially with my dad's health issues. But my mom not being near me was difficult even after 5 years.

"I think we should get ready for bed Mom. It's been a long day," I told her as I stood up and stretched.

"Good thinking kiddo. I know you have brunch with Andy tomorrow so I'm sure you'll want to get up at a decent time," she told me.

"Well, he's supposed to pick me up at 10 I think," I told her as we went to gather the stuff for bedtime.

"Oh that's not too early," my Mom remarked.

I chuckled at her comment.

Night came and went and I was on my way to brunch with Andy.

"So how are you darling?" Andy asked as we drove.

"Good good. I just cannot believe my mom's here for 2 weeks," I remarked.

"That's a good thing, right?" he asked curiously.

"Yes, it is I mean she's been in Canada forever and phone calls you can only say so much," I remarked as we stopped at a red light.

"That's a lot further than most parents. I mean I'm lucky with my parents being only a few miles away and my brothers are a different story," Andy commented.

"My sister living on the East Coast is drab too but at least I get a birthday cake every year for my birthday," I joked.

Andy laughed.