Chapter 104

"Tis the season to be jolly," I sang along with the radio.

While Andy was out running appointments, I put the Christmas tree up. It wasn't even Thanksgiving yet but I wanted to focus on the holiday season.

Sam was sitting in front of the front door. He enjoyed the sunshine that had finally moved in after clouds and rain.

I wasn't going to put up too much Christmas decor till closer to Christmas. All I wanted was a place to start putting the Christmas gifts under the tree.

I also couldn't wait till next month. Violet was coming home. The past year I had been going crazy. Between Violet moving abroad for the year, and the spontaneous trips, to my brother's passing, 1987 had a weird feeling to it.

I finally got the light's all untangled to string around the tree. They were from the early 70s but still worked like new. 

By the time I finished doing that, Andy walked in.

"Did I miss Thanksgiving?" Andy joked.

"Yes, you did," I teased.

"What's up with the tree being up so early?" he asked curiously.

"Well I just want to enjoy the season longer than the 3 weeks," I told him.

"I see," he told me as he went to wash up before joining me in the tree decorating.

I chuckled as I went to gather the hooks and ornaments for the tree.

"So how much more do you have to do on the tree?" Andy asked as he joined me.

"We need to put the ornaments on.  And let me see we also are needing to put the tinsel on the tree too," I listed off.

"Okay, darling. Would you like me to help with the ornaments or the tinsel?" he asked.

"Oh whatever you would like love," I told him as he grabbed an ornament to hook and hang.

And so, for the next 45 minutes, we did all we could to get the tree almost perfect.

In the end, we stepped back and admired how pretty it looked. It was getting dark earlier so the lights lit up the room effortlessly.

"I think we did pretty good," I remarked as I stood there admiring the hard work we had both put in.

"I think so too darling. You know I was never one for the holiday stuff and rarely ever decorated," he told me.

"But I guess I changed that?" I asked him.

"Yes. I would never have decorated for Christmas in November but here I am with you," he commented.

I chuckled.

"Is that a good thing or a bad thing?" I asked him.

"Both," he replied.

"Why both?" I asked as I began to gather the empty boxes to take back to the garage.

"Because I never ever had a Christmas tree up during Thanksgiving that is," he told me.

"And?" I asked him.

"And it's weird how the first 3 weeks of November will be all Christmas. Then the Thursday of Thanksgiving it's just about it, then back to Christmas," he explained as he followed me to the garage.

"So what? I feel like Christmas needs more time for the decor. The music I can easily burn out on but I feel like it's pointless to decorate so late like early December and only appreciate it for 24 days or less," I responded.

"I get that darling. It's true," he told me.

"And plus, this year has been weird. I'll be really busy in the early part of December cause Violet's coming home," I told him.

"That's right she comes home next month," Andy remarked as we situated the boxes and headed back to the living room.

It was now closer to 4.

"So I'll probably want to go to her and Grandma's place and do a deep clean and set up their Christmas stuff too later in November so they can come home and have no worries," I told him as I went to let Sam out for the evening. 

"I just cannot believe how fast that year went. She was so excited yet scared to go study abroad and now the entire year is almost done," Andy commented.

"I hope she brings us snacks. I am craving those strop waffle things," I expressed to Andy as I went to turn off the record player.

I had been spinning Christmas vinyl albums all afternoon.

"Let's hope she doesn't bring any black licorice," he told me.

I chuckled.

"That was pretty terrible," I told him as I shut the record player.

"It wasn't too bad if you were accustomed to the flavor. But for one, neither of us are," he replied.

"Nope and it was terrible," I commented as I went to sit down.

I sighed as I melted into the couch.

"How long have you been on your feet today?" Andy asked curiously.

"Well basically since I got home. At work, I only had to do desk tasks today since it's Wednesday," I replied.

"Do you get a winter break or anything like that this Christmas?" he asked.

"I haven't even asked. I'll ask Terri in the morning," I commented as I began to relax from the long day's work.

"I hope you do. I want one more trip somewhere before I go to England in January," he told me.

"Right. You start your comeback album in January," I replied.

"Yes I do," he told me excitedly.

"I'm really happy for you love. It's your time to shine," I told him.

"Yes it is," he told me proudly.

To a quiet evening just the two of us.