Chapter 113

"How did Christmas Morning get here so quickly?" I grumbled as I looked at the clock.

Christmas Morning was here. I was dreading the next week. Andy would be on his way to England in a week or so.

Andy stirred as he glanced at his clock.

"Darling it's not even 7 yet. We don't have to get up yet," he remarked as he flipped to face me.

I sighed.

"I know but that just means the holiday season is over," I remarked.

"I know but shhhh," he remarked as he nuzzled back into the blanket.

I closed my eyes hoping to be as sleepy as he was.

I flipped back to face the clock and it was ticking closer and closer to 7. I wasn't sure what we were going to do besides open presents. 

Once I could hear the grandfather clock tick to 7, I snuck out of bed. Andy didn't even hear me.

I went and let Sam out, got the coffee going, and went to put on the TV. Some random Christmas show was on.

After a while, I was getting hungry so I went to start a smaller breakfast for the two of us. I wanted oatmeal and sausage. I got to the fridge and got the sausage out to fry first.

By the time I had finished making breakfast, the grandfather clock in the living room ticked to 8. Andy hadn't gotten up yet.

I wasn't worried except for the fact that breakfast would be cold when he got up.

I sat down and ate while I watched the Christmas special that was on TV.

I was about done with my breakfast when Andy came down the hall.

"How long have you been up?" Andy asked as he looked at me with my bowl of oatmeal.

"A while. I was hungry," I told him as he chuckled at my comment.

"You were hungry?" he asked as he leaned to kiss the top of my head.

"Yes, I was hungry. There is plenty left on the stove. I just don't know if it is warm or not," I told him.

He chuckled as he mindlessly walked to the kitchen.

I finished my breakfast as Andy was coming to sit down with coffee and oatmeal.

"I forgot to say Merry Christmas darling," he remarked as he got settled on the couch next to me.

"Merry Christmas love," I commented before I put my breakfast bowl on the coffee table.

I couldn't believe that this was how life was at times. As silly as that sounds.

"When do you want to open gifts up?" Andy asked after a few minutes of silence.

"I don't care when love to be honest," I told him as Sam scratched at the door.

I went to let him in and also take my bowl to the sink.

"After we clean up breakfast, shall we open some of them before we get ready for the day?" Andy asked as he followed me into the kitchen.

"That sounds perfect," I remarked as I went to pour myself another cup of coffee.

And so, we went to the living room and we found a few presents to open.

"Open this one first," I told him.

I got several photos developed of us from the last year to put into a frame. So when he goes off next week, he'll have me with him indirectly. I also wrote about 15 different letters for him to open when he needs a little encouragement. 

"Don't get so impatient," he teased as he unwrapped the box.

I was so nervous for some damn reason.

He finally got into the box and saw the frame filled with the pictures.

He looked at me.

"So you have me with you when you go off to London," I told him as he looked at the frame again.

I also had the bundle of letters as well in the box.

"And those letters are for when you need a little reassurance or encouragement," I explained as he smiled.

"This is thoughtful darling thank you," he remarked as he came over to hug me.

"I'm gonna miss you and I want you to have a part of me when you go," I told him as we separated from the hug.

I didn't feel like crying this morning so I tried to push it away.

"Open this one from me," Andy remarked as he handed me a box.

It was a medium-sized box.

I began unwrapping it and it was two cassettes.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I read them.

"Mixtapes?" I asked him.

"Yeah the songs we collectively like together so when you just want to feel like I'm close, you can listen to our favorite songs all rolled into two tapes," he told me.

"Wait "Man on Fire" is on here? And so is "Flowing Rivers?" Did you re-record the second one?" I asked him.

"For the tape, yes. Remember you wanted to hear the original verse and chorus after you found the lyric sheet from years ago?" he asked.

I smiled. He remembered. 

"This was so sweet of you," I told him as I looked at the tapes more closely.

He even had put a photo of us as the insert on one of them.

"So I guess we have been thinking about the England trip," he remarked.

"Yeah I guess so," I remarked as he looked at me with a small smile.

"I hope you like them, darling. Well the song choices," he commented.

"It's perfect," I told him as I stole a kiss from him.

A bittersweet Christmas was in store.