Chapter 12

Christmas was approaching faster and faster. My Secret Santa plan for Andy was in the works. I got his home address to send him a Christmas card. But, little did he know that I also got it to secretly send him a gift. I hope it will go over well.  I found a nice silver cross necklace even though I knew he wasn't religious religious. I also got him the cologne he was talking about.

"Whatcha doing?" Violet asked me as I packed the box to take to the post office.

She had come over to do a painting of the Christmas tree in my living room.

"I'm packing a Secret Santa gift," I told her.

"For who?" Violet inquired. 

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a secret now would it?" I asked her.

She chuckled.

"Good point I mean that's why it's called Secret Santa," Violet replied.

"Duhhhh," I remarked as I wrote out a card.

"To a person who deserves the world and more. Happy Christmas," I wrote.

"I think your tree is prettier than ours. Grandma Mary had us put up the tree she's had since like 1962," Violet commented.

I laughed.

"It's a vintage Christmas," I remarked.

"I like that idea," Violet remarked as she disappeared to the bathroom momentarily.

And so, I waited to write his address and name on the box after sealing it off. If Violet found out I was doing this, she'd take it as something else. I was just trying to be a friend.

"Okay, what did I miss?" Violet asked me as she joined me back in the living room.

"Nothing really I just finished sealing the box," I told her.

"And you won't drop any hints who it is?" she asked.

I shook my head.

"Violet, I love you but this is the only secret I'm keeping from you," I told her.

"I know I believe you," she replied as she went back to painting.

"So why did you want to paint my tree?" I asked her to change the subject.

"Cause it's always the prettiest. That's one thing I can remember for years, you always have had the best trees. Even when you lived with your parents before they moved to Canada," Violet replied as there was a knock at my door.

"Weird I wasn't expecting company," I told her.

"Well," she replied as she stopped painting as I went to the door.

There was a bouquet of flowers left on the porch.

"What?" I asked out loud.

"What?" she asked as she came over to where I was.

"Flowers?" I remarked as I bent over to pick them up.

"Well is there a card?" Violet asked.

I sifted through the flowers.

"A mid-week surprise. ~Secret Santa," I read out loud.

"Ooooh you got a Secret Santa," Violet nudged me.

"There's nobody cute that works at IBM. Ewww I bet it's Ethan the copy machine boy. He's like 18 gross," I remarked.

Violet shook her head and laughed.

"Well did you go on any date-dates with anyone recently?" Violet inquired.

I shook my head.

"My checklist is so small, Santa can't even check anything off it," I told her.

"Don't be so hard on yourself. Love will find you when it's meant to," she replied.

"I'm 25 Violet. 26 in March. That's approaching levels of uncertainty," I remarked.

I picked the flowers up and brought them in.

I set them on the coffee table. 

"Just because we are 25 doesn't mean love won't happen for us. I mean this isn't 1962 like Grandma Mary's Christmas Tree. Things change," Violet reminded me.

I sighed. Violet was right.

"All I can think is if it's Ethan, I dislike that man. He's a boy-child. Not a man. If he sent these, my god tomorrow at work I'm gonna have the heebie-jeebies all damn day when I see him," I told Violet as I studied the card. 

The card was handwritten. It was lovely writing for a man. 

"Let me see the card," Violet told me.

I handed it to her.

"Well it looks mature so it's not a young young man like barely out of highschool," she told me.

"How can you tell?" I asked her chuckling.

"The "s" in Secret and in Santa are very classic and thought out. If it were a brief and careless person, it would be sloppy. Watch," Violet said as she grabbed the notepad that I kept on the table.

"Like this," she wrote out the word Secret Santa.

I could see what she meant.

"So you see, the "s" is more cared for in the technique. So this is someone that cares for you," she told me.

"Maybe my parents?" I remarked.

"True that's actually a good hypothesis," Violet remarked.

"See I have a very small circle of friends. Besides you, I don't really hang out with anybody. My sister lives on the East Coast and of course, my brother is in the military I get to see him maybe once a year," I told her.

"Hmmmm yeah I know," Violet remarked.

"I just don't wanna be torn ya know? Overthinking it," I told her.

"Don't wanna be torn? Over what? Flowers?" Violet asked.

"Yeah, I mean what if I was wrong and looked stupid and it was Ethan? I have to still this motherfucker the rest of his internship," I told her.

"Why did you call him a motherfucker?" Violet asked chuckling.

"I don't know I just, I always thought it was easy listening to your heart. The person I'm hoping it is from probably doesn't even think of me in that light," I told her.

"I know you are probably feeling confused but let's go back to being happy," Violet said as she gestured to her painting.

"Yes let's. I want to see how it comes out," I told her as I put the card down again.

I sighed. I didn't know what to think. I just didn't want to be torn.

"I think I'm gonna add more lights to the tree than there is in real life," Violet told me.

"Ooooh," I remarked as I tried to refocus on Violet.

Twas a box of thoughts heavy under my tree.