Chapter 86

"I cannot remember the last time we had a movie night," I remarked as we settled onto the couch.

For our weekly date, we decided to go to Blockbuster and rent a few movies. We finally got ahold of a copy of "La Bamba" after watching it in January. We also rented a few others we probably wouldn't get to tonight.

"I don't think we've done one ever, darling," Andy commented as he started the VHS player.

"Well, we did when we had our first date. But we were supposed to go see a movie after dinner that night," I told him.

"Oh that's right how could I forget?" he remarked as he popped the VHS into the player.

"True how could you?" I teased.

"Oh shush," he remarked as he grabbed the VHS remote to sit down with me.

It was hard to believe it was only a year and a half we had been together. Yet, it felt like a lifetime.

"Be still my heart," I remarked as he sat next to me.

"What?" he asked chuckling as he put the popcorn bowl in his lap.

"I don't know I just felt like saying it," I replied as Andy hit play.

"Be still my heart? What kind of saying is that?" he asked me.

"I don't know to be honest. I think I heard it in a show or read it in a book," I told him.

He rolled his eyes as the movie started.

"You read or watch some very professional wording things," he commented as he reached for his drink.

"I just who knows where the things I come up with come from," I remarked as we focused on the movie for a while. 

He smiled at my comment.

We were contently curled up on the couch together. The quietness was relaxing and I was finally feeling okay. With Andy gone, sometimes you never know if he's gonna come back. I'm an overthinker as we all know.

"I still don't get how Bob just took Rosie from Richtie," I remarked as the movie progressed.

"No, I don't either. I wonder if that happened in real life or if it was just part of the plot line," he commented as he took a handful of popcorn.

"I wonder if there is a biography on Ritchie Valens at the library," I replied.

"I'm sure by now that someone has especially with the movie coming out," he replied as our hands met together in the popcorn bowl.

I pulled back so did he.

"No no go ahead," I told him.

"No ladies first," he remarked.

"How about we both just get popcorn," I suggested.

He chuckled.

"It's like we are on our first date all over again," he replied as he took some popcorn.

"I'm not nervous like I was then," I admitted.

"You were nervous on our first date?" he asked as we momentarily forgot 

"Yes oh my goodness that's why I had the bloody nose," I told him.

"I would have never guessed you were nervous. I was beyond belief and nervous inside myself. But you didn't show it," he commented.

"I'm good at hiding certain things. Like my anxiety if you haven't learned that by that now," I told him as the movie had a loud crash noise.

We both looked up and it was at the part of the movie where Donna and Richtie were on a date at the diner and he told her about his fear of flying because of the plane crash at his school.

"That honestly startled me," I remarked as I adjusted in my seat.

"Me too. I wasn't expecting that. I forgot that was in there," he told me as he also readjusted in the seat.

"I was so focused on our conversation," I told him as he wrapped his arm back around me.

I sighed.

"You okay though?" he asked.

"Yeah yeah let's focus back on the movie," I told him.

And so, with our popcorn in hand, we finished the movie. But, not without me crying. Like BALLING like a child when the mother calls out "Not my Richtie." 

I was a puddle of tears. 

"Do you need a tissue?" Andy asked as he reached for the box on the coffee table.

"Yes oh my gosh every time I think of that line, it makes me so sad," I remarked as I sniffled.

"The day the music died," he remarked.

"Yes true," I remarked as I stood up to look in the mirror I had in the living room.

I had most of my tears cleaned off but makeup still stained my face.

"I hope no one comes to the house before I go shower," I remarked as Andy looked at me in the mirror.

"You are a softie aren't you," he told me.

"Well duh hello," I gestured to my face.

He kissed the top of my head.

"That's a good thing. It's a good way to be," he told me as he went and got the VHS rewound and put back in the case.

I glanced at the clock and it was after 8.

"I think I'm going to go shower now," I told him.

"Okay darling sounds good," he told me as he picked up the living room.

I disappeared down the hall to the bedroom. Sam was following me now after he had been asleep for most of the movie.

I got my stuff ready for the shower and did my normal routine.

After I was done, Andy followed, did his shower, and got ready for the evening.

We both were sitting on the bed. Sam was at the foot of the bed.

"This is my favorite thing," he commented as he watched me brush my hair.

"The quiet?" I asked as I grabbed my scrunchie to put my hair in a pony.

He chuckled.

"Well yeah, but this. This is home. This is us," he commented.

I smiled at his statement.

To love somebody. It's oh so sweet. Days like this is when I knew what his brothers sang about oh so many years ago.