𝘰𝘯𝘦 - 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘮

— • — • — • — ꧁꧂ — • — • — • —

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑠𝑡𝑜𝑟𝑚

THE DAY OF Hurricane Agatha, Leilani Malehona was bound to her new house on the rich side of the island, begrudingly helping her father, Kai, prepare the outside of the house. "I don't understand why I'm doing this and Bryce gets to sit inside and do nothing." Leilani said, tossing chairs and tables into the back shed.

        Kai sighed. "Your brother is helping Rachel, and you're helping me." he spoke of his step-son and wife, knowing how much his daughter didn't like either of them.

        "Step-brother." Leilani corrected, placing one of her surfboards delicately in the shed, locking it up tightly afterwards.

        "Leilani, please try to be nicer to them, okay? I understand you liked The Cut, but we have a much better life here." Kai said. It was a pretty big thing when it came out that Kai Malehona was with the very rich and well-known Rachel Jones, and it was an even bigger shock when he moved his only daughter to Figure Eight and married Rachel.

        Leilani rolled her eyes. "And what's the brat doing?" she asked, following her father over to the front of the house to close up the garage.

        Kai didn't always know how to handle his daughter. He was sixteen when she was born, and he had been a single father all of her life. Kai grew up in Hawai'i, and he lived there until Leilani was ten, when they moved to the Outer Banks, where her mother lived. Leilani had never met her mother. "Caitlin is talking to her dad." Kai said, shutting the garage doors and walking inside the house as the wind started up, Leilani behind him.

        "Lucky kid." she mumbled, kicking her battered converse off, purposely leaving them in the middle of the kitchen to piss off her step-mother.

        Rachel was sitting on the couch, a glass of wine in her hand as she watched the weather forecast on the television. Hurricane Agatha was going to hit hard very soon, and Leilani hoped John B and JJ would be okay at John B's old house. "Leilani, pick up your shoes." Rachel said, and Leilani rolled her eyes.

        She reluctantly put her shoes in the mudroom, walking back into the kitchen to get herself some food. Once she found a snack, Leilani sat on the counter and pulled out her phone. Just as she found JJ's name and started calling him, Rachel turned and saw her location. "Leilani! What did I say about sitting on my counters?" she shouted.

        Leilani pressed her finger to her lip. "I'm on the phone." she said as JJ answered her call.

        "What do you want?" he asked, his voice  making the suggestion that he was sleeping.