𝘴𝘪𝘹𝘵𝘺-𝘵𝘸𝘰 - 𝘢𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘭 𝘰𝘢𝘬

꧁ - - - - - - ✧ - - - - - - ꧂

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨 — 𝑎𝑛𝑔𝑒𝑙 𝑜𝑎𝑘

THE TWINKIE DROVE down the streets of Kildare towards Goat Island, passing Freedman's Church on the way. Kie pointed out Angel Oak as John B drove onto the small island's dirt roads. JJ sat in the passenger's seat, the girls and Pope behind him and John B. "Oh, shit. Tide's coming in." John B groaned, driving slowly over mud.

        Pope had his head stuck between the seats. "Hey, wait a second. Look. They already came through here. Those have to be Limbrey's tire tracks. Guys, we gotta go." Pope said, alarmed.

        "What do you think, chief?" JJ asked John B, eyeing the muddy tide water cautiously.

        "I'm thinking it's looking a little dicey." John B said, a nervous tinge to his words.

        JJ frowned. "Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with that statement." he glanced back at his girlfriend who shrugged.

        "Okay, clearly, they made it. No?" Kie brought up, sitting in the seat above Leilani, the Polynesian girl occupying the floor.

        "I'm guessing they didn't have a crappy van that's falling apart with two-wheel drive," Leilani mentioned nonchalantly. "No offense, John B." she added quickly.

        "Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyways? Like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?" Sarah said with a small smile.

        John B and JJ shared a look. "She's got a point." John B muttered, gripping the steering wheel with both hands.

        JJ took a dramatic deep breath. "Speed is your friend here, okay? So, put her down in second and hammer down, brother." he instructed as the girls began preparing themselves.

        "Stick to the high ground in the middle." Pope said, and Leilani knew the tension and anxiety wasn't fitting for her to make a Star Wars reference.

        "All right, ready? Here we go." John B started driving. Sarah and Kie each had a leg extended over a curled up Leilani in case she went flying from her lack of a seat.

        As John B drove, everyone tossed out critisms left and right, until he eventually made it through safely. "All right, right here. That's good. Angel Oak is right through here," JJ said, getting out of the van once John B brought it to a stop. He opened up the back door. "Word to the wise, definitely know that gators nest back here, so keep your eyes peeled, okay?" JJ spoke, Pope, Kie, Scout and Sarah climbing out of the backseat.