𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦 - 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘣𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘬𝘥𝘰𝘸𝘯

— • — • — • — ꧁꧂ — • — • — • —

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑏𝑟𝑒𝑎𝑘𝑑𝑜𝑤𝑛

LEILANI DROVE BRYCE back to their house, the two of them conversing quietly on the way. Leilani was in her quiet phase, and she was worried out of her mind for JJ. But she had to make sure Bryce was okay, that was her priority. Once he had promised that he was all right, Leilani forced him into a sibling hug when she had parked the car. She was an only child all of her life, and she liked having Bryce as her little brother.

        She drove to KMR. Leilani avoided her father and spent her afternoon with Pepper and Rosie. It cleared her mind just a little bit, the rest of her thoughts still swarming with worries about JJ. There was no cell service on the Cut, but despite that, Leilani still called and texted JJ over and over, ignoring the fact that it wasn't sending. She had to try.

        As night fell, she didn't go home with Kai, and instead sat with the sharks. JJ loved sharks, he had always been facinated with them. That was why Leilani had made him the bull shark tooth necklace when they were thirteen. Her fingers brushed the necklace he had made her. Leilani's nerves were only increasing now that hours had passed and JJ still hadn't washed up.

        Leilani dragged her hand gently across a nurse shark's head, smiling. And then Pope and Kie walked in. Kiara apologized, and Pope explained that they needed her help with the pulley system to pull the gold up. So Leilani changed back into her shorts, tank top and zip-up, driving herself to the Chateau behind Pope and Kie in Heyward's truck.

        She walked to the truckbed as she parked her car, joining Pope and Kie. "We gotta be done before my scholarship interview in the morning." Pope said to his friends.

        "Okay, well, we gotta focus." Kiara pressed, standing beside Leilani.

        "I know. It's gonna be fine. We've got John B and Leila inside the well, me and JJ up top. You and Sarah will be outside transporting." Pope explained the pairs.

        Leilani nodded, pushing her singular braid over her shoulder. "Sounds good." Leilani dug through the materials Pope had come up with.

        "Uh, I got a winch. That tin can hold over like... 200, 300 pounds." Pope explained and Leilani opened the truckbed, settling her hands on the surface.

        "Thanks." Kie said suddenly to Pope.

        "What for?" Pope questioned, helping Leilani pull the tools in the truck towards the edge of the bed.