𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘵𝘸𝘰 - 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘤𝘳𝘢𝘪𝘯 𝘩𝘰𝘶𝘴𝘦

— • — • — • — ꧁꧂ — • — • — • —

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐭𝐰𝐨𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑐𝑟𝑎𝑖𝑛 ℎ𝑜𝑢𝑠𝑒

"GOOD GIRL, PEPPER." Leilani cooed as pepper jumped out of the pool, landing on a mat so Leilani and other doctors could examine her. It was awkward at the Malehona household the day after Midsummers, because Kai and Rachel were set on freezing Leilani out instead of yelling at her for her behavior.

She had lost her car privelages for a few days, and she wasn't allowed to spend time with her friends until after she had worked a long shift at KMR. It could've been much worse, and Leilani was grateful that Kai had talked Rachel out of harsher punishment. But Kai did mention that Leilani needed to be focusing on surfing, and not her friends. A part of her agreed with him.

Leilani poured water on Pepper's skin, holding her still as Kat, a marine doctor, took some blood in a syringe for testing. "It's a good thing she still jumps easily. Pepper's not getting any younger, kid." Kat mentioned, and Leilani frowned. She didn't even want to entertain the idea that Pepper was getting older.

She just nodded, helping Kat and other doctors place Pepper back in the dolphin pool where she swam around happily. Leilani started cleaning up the area, putting the toy baskets away. She was exhausted, and she had been working since she got back from the surf break at dawn. Leilani tossed her long braid over her shoulder, grabbing a bucket of lettuce from the storage room to take to the turtles.

As she fed slices of lettuce to one of the leatherback turtles, Leilani looked over, seeing her friends walk in. "Hey. I've been calling you." Kiara said, leading the pack of Pogues into KMR.

Leilani took the empty bucket and walked away, the group following her. "No phone, no car. You guys probably shouldn't even be here until I'm done." Leilani explained, grabbing a bucket of fish to feed the sharks.

"This is really important." John B pressed, a black cast on his wrist.

Leilani arrived at the shark pools, standing on the platform above the water. "Yeah, I know," she rolled up her sleeves, reaching into the bucket and grabbing a fistful of dead fish. "Lay it out, JB." Leilani tossed the fish to the sharks.

Before John B could, Kai walked by the shark pools, sighing. "Leilani, I told you that you couldn't do anything until you finished your shift." Kai said sternly, glaring at her four friends.

"I'm almost done. Just have to feed the otters." Leilani said, emptying the bucket into the water, stepping away from the sharks and immediately washing her hands.