𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘰𝘶𝘳 - 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘬𝘦𝘺

꧁ - - - - - - ✧ - - - - - - ꧂

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫 — 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑘𝑒𝑦

SARAH AND LEILANI tended to the minor wounds on Mr. Heyward's head. The Pogues had immediately rushed over to Pope's family business when they got the news that Heyward had been attacked. "Let me know if I'm hurting you." Leilani said, Sarah handing her a bandage to lay over Heyward's cut.

        "You're doin' just fine," Heyward winced as Sarah applied contact to the bandage, Leilani holding it in place. "Thank you, darlin'." he said to the both of them, Leilani wiping her hands and stepping away.

        "Pop, what happened?" Pope asked his father as Leilani went over to JJ's side.

        "Oh, I should've known better. He came in just as I was about to lock up. Caught me by surprise. Once he had me down, he put his knee in my chest, and he asked me about that... that... that key form that... that drawing you showed me. And in case you're wondering, I ain't tell him nothing," Mr. Heyward explained. Leilani sat beside Sarah, JJ standing next to her. "Now, did track it down?" Heyward asked Pope.

        Pope glanced at his friends and dug into his pocket, pulling out the key and giving it to his father. "I found it in Mee-maw's old apartment above the pharmacy just like you said." he sat down next to Heyward.

        "Shit, boy, you should've gave this to me. I wouldn't have had to take a beating. What's the big deal? It ain't worth anything. Why they want it so bad?" Heyward questioned.

        "I don't know. First, I get this letter telling me that I need to go to Charleston. And then I meet this rich lady who wants me to give her a key that I didn't even know was in my family." Pope said.

        "None of it makes any sense." Kie mentioned, seated on Sarah's other side.

        "Well, don't y'all just sit here whining about it. Figure it out!" Heyward instructed. Leilani smiled to herself. Kai would've said the exact same thing.

        Pope shook his head. "No. I'm just gonna give the key to that lady. It's not worth--"

        "No, no, no. Did I raise you to back down from a fight, boy?" Heyward stopped Pope, giving him a knowing look.

        "No, sir." Pope said.

        "Well, all right. Now, I... I didn't think about it before. I admit that. But now... Now?" he pointed to his wound, looking at his son and his friends. "I'm interested. Did they say why they wanted it?"