𝘧𝘪𝘧𝘵𝘺-𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦 - 𝘶𝘱 𝘪𝘯 𝘧𝘭𝘢𝘮𝘦𝘴

꧁ - - - - - - ✧ - - - - - - ꧂

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞 — 𝑢𝑝 𝑖𝑛 𝑓𝑙𝑎𝑚𝑒𝑠

THE ANNUAL BONFIRE. A tradition for teens in OBX. Kooks and Pogues alike were there, often breeding chaos. Leilani hoped her group would stay under the radar and not stir up trouble. When they got out of the Twinkie, Pope and Kie went ahead together, talking. Leilani stayed behind with the boys. John B and JJ were holding each other by the shoulders and JJ was gripping his girlfriend's hand. "Oh my God. I missed you so much." John B said to a girl who gave him a cup of beer.

        Leilani didn't really understand anything John B was ranting about until JJ cut him off. "But, dude, her father blew up right in front of her. Just give her a minute, all right?" JJ's arm had fallen to Leilani's waist.

        "JB, I went to an island for two weeks when my dad died. You just need to be patient." Leilani said.

        JJ grabbed a beer. "In the meantime, shotgun right now. Like the old days—"

        "Hey, derelicts!" the girl from their geometry class threw a cup of beer at them, stray droplets soaking Leilani's skin.

        "Bitch." Leilani wiped the sticky substance off of her body.

        "There she is. That's you. We're out of here." JJ said to John B, Leilani giving him his knife to open the beer can.

        John B hit JJ as he passed and the blonde spilled his beer, Leilani smiling at him. "Come on, stupid." she grabbed his hand, intertwining their fingers.

        "Where are we going?" JJ asked, abandoning his beer and walking at Leilani's side.

        Leilani shrugged. "No clue." she tucked some of her hair behind her ear.

        As they walked around the bonfire, some Pogue Leilani vaguely recognized came up to them. "Hey, JJ!" she called to the blonde.

        "Hey." JJ said, confused at how she knew him.

        "Leilani." the girl looked Leilani up and down.

        "Who are you?" Leilani countered, JJ's arm finding its way around her shoulders, drawing her close.

        The girl scoffed. "It's Emma. From the boneyard," Emma turned to JJ, fixing her crop top as if she was trying to impress him. "Do you want a drink?"

        JJ didn't even need to look at his girlfriend to know his answer. "I'm good. Thanks, though." he began to walk away, Leilani with him.

        "Are you sure? We could finish what we started in the summer." Emma tried again.