𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘳𝘵𝘺-𝘧𝘪𝘷𝘦 - 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘵𝘰𝘮

— • — • — • — ꧁꧂ — • — • — • —

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞 — 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑝ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑡𝑜𝑚

THEY DROVE PAST four cop cars on the way to the garage, signalling that John B wasn't caught yet. It gave them a little bit of hope. When they arrived, JJ slid the door open, revealing the boat they were taking. "There she be. Hey, girl. A 1983 Formula 402 SR1. The Phantom." Leilani almost cracked a smile at JJ's affection for the boat.

"Mm-hm." Kie indulged in JJ's words when he looked back at the two girls.

"The first boat to make the run to Bermuda in under sixteen hours. Forty years old! Forty. And still the fastest thing Kildare's ever seen." JJ gushed, pulling old tarps off of the boat.

"It's kind of a junker." Kie said bluntly.

"Really? She's right there, Kie. She can hear you. Let's just put it this way. You would not be smokin' weed right now if she never existed."

"I just hope it runs." Leilani said as JJ prepared to hitch the boat trailer to Kie's car.

"Oh, no, she'll run all right. She's faster than any of the cutters the boys in blue got." JJ assured the girls, Leilani nodding along with his words.

A motorbike engine was heard, and Kie hopped over the hitch. "Pope. Finally." Kie sighed, walking to the end of the boat.

But it wasn't Pope. It was Rafe, and Leilani's eyes never left him once she saw him. He ruined her life, and he was there. "Hey, there. What's goin' on? JJ? How you guys doin'?" Rafe taunted, Kie rushing back over to Leilani as JJ stopped what he was doing.

From the other end of the garage, Barry whistled, coming into view, patting Kie's car. "Well, well," he walked up to JJ as Rafe came closer to the girls. JJ held his hands up and Leilani gasped as Barry cocked a gun, pointing it at JJ's chest. "See, don't think I forgot about you and me on the side of the road. I'm here because I want my motherfuckin' money!" Barry started attacking JJ, Rafe lifting Kie by the waist to pull her away from the scene.

JJ was shoved to the ground as Rafe pushed Kie into the boat, knocking her unconscious. "Get off of him, asshole!" Leilani yelled, kicking Barry in the back to try to get him away from JJ.

Rafe quickly came over and tugged Leilani away, pinning her against the side of The Phantom. "Where's John B, Leilani?" Rafe asked, holding Leilani's arms to the boat.

Leilani broke one of her hands free and used it to punch Rafe across the face. "I told you I'd kill you if you ever touched me again." Leilani panted, seeing Barry roll JJ over with his foot.