𝘯𝘪𝘯𝘦𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯 - 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘢𝘯'𝘵 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘭 𝘤𝘶𝘭𝘵𝘶𝘳𝘦

— • — • — • — ꧁꧂ — • — • — • —

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧𝑦𝑜𝑢 𝑐𝑎𝑛'𝑡 𝑘𝑖𝑙𝑙 𝑐𝑢𝑙𝑡𝑢𝑟𝑒

"RACHEL, CHILL WITH the heat, Jesus." Leilani groaned, wincing as she heard the sizzling of her dark hair as it was straightened by Rachel.

Sighing, Rachel took another strand of her step-daughter's hair. "You have too much hair. I can schedule a cut for you next week." Rachel said, and Leilani's brows furrowed.

"Please don't. I like my hair." Leilani rolled her eyes, allowing Rachel to continue to maim her curls. Leilani had put a heap of protectant in her hair, but she wasn't sure it would be enough.

They were in the kitchen preparing for Midsummers, and Leilani was being forced by Rachel and Kai to go. It was the first Midsummers since Rachel married Kai, so she was very adamant on Leilani presenting herself well for all of Figure Eight. Leilani had reminded the entire household about everyone on the south side of the island who were suffering without power and water while they partied at Midsummers. She didn't want to go. She would rather be doing what she used to do, which was help Pope and his father throughout the evening.

Caitlin was doing her extravagent makeup at the kitchen table, facetiming with her best friend, Wheezie Cameron. Leilani was ignoring their conversation as her attention span was lessening. They had been doing her hair for over an hour. All Leilani could think about was JJ. She wanted to make sure he was okay, but Kai would not let her near his house in fear of Luke. Leilani hadn't heard from him since he left the station the day before, and she tried to think positively, but it was getting difficult.

"Hey," Kai said, doing his tie as he walked down the stairs, stopping when he saw his wife and his daughter. "What the hell are you doing to her hair, Rach?"

Rachel turned to Kai, holding the straightener against Leilani's hair. "Straightening it, why?" she didn't see the problem Kai had with this action.

"You didn't think to ask me?" Kai finished with his sage green tie as Caitlin ended her facetime, putting on lipstick. Bryce came down the stairs, his bowtie in his hands.

"Why would I?" Rachel asked, unbothered. Leilani dabbed some light concealer under her eyes, deciding to keep her makeup extremely natural and simple. She didn't like to wear it, anyways.

Kai started tying Bryce's lavendar colored bowtie for him. "Her hair is part of her culture, Rachel. We've only ever straightened it once, for her twelfth birthday." he said. He knew Leilani didn't like having straight hair, so this was obviously a way for Rachel to turn her into a picture perfect Kook.