𝘵𝘸𝘦𝘯𝘵𝘺-𝘴𝘪𝘹 - 𝘴𝘩𝘢𝘳𝘬𝘴

— • — • — • — ꧁꧂ — • — • — • —

𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐬𝐢𝐱 — 𝑠ℎ𝑎𝑟𝑘𝑠

LEILANI PUSHED OPEN her front door, dusting herself off from the dirt and dust that still stuck to her clothes from the well. JJ walked in behind her, both of them pushing their shoes into the mudroom. Leilani led JJ further into the house, finding everyone, minus Cait, sitting in the living room. Kai raised his right arm, looking at his watch. "9:56. I'm impressed." he said, standing up to talk to JJ and Leilani.

Leilani shrugged. "Guess I am good for something." Kai smiled, shaking his head and sitting down at the kitchen island.

Caitlin walked down the stairs, one of Leilani's tank tops on her body. "Oh. You still live here?" she brushed past the two teens, opening the refrigerator.

Leilani's eyes and pointer finger followed her step-sister. "Am I delusional, or is that the shirt I wore two days ago?" she wondered aloud. Leilani was getting really sick and tired of Caitlin rummaging through her room.

"Yes and yes," JJ said, grinning as Leilani elbowed him in the ribs. "It's nice to see you, Mr. Malehona." JJ stuck his hand out to Kai, the older man shaking it. JJ was such a kiss-up to Kai, and it made Leilani laugh at how hard he tried to make her father like him.

"How you doing, JJ?" Kai greeted.

Bryce turned from where he was seated beside his mother on the couch. "Why are you so dirty?" he asked, Scout rushing into the house from the backyard.

Rachel stood up. "That is a great question. You two are dirtying up this entire house, and I want you out." Leilani rolled her eyes at Rachel, bending to pet her dog.

"Well, we wouldn't want to upset the queen, so we'll be upstairs. Is that cool?" Leilani asked her father, purposely ignoring her step-mother.

"No, that is—" Rachel began.

Kai cut her off. "Don't even bother sneaking around. Thin walls. I know your teen minds don't think about anything, but I swear to God, Leilani Kapua, if you ruin your future like I did, JJ goes to the shark pool." Kai threatened, JJ discreetly stepping back away from Kai.

Leilani furrowed her brows. "Jesus, Dad, I know I'm an accident but you don't have to be so harsh." she teased, sending a small wink to JJ.

"Leilani..." Kai sighed.

"I'm kidding. And we promise, nothing like that is gonna happen." Leilani nudged JJ, and he repeated her words, allowing her to pull her up the stairs and to her room.