Part 60 - pity

It was Monday, the first day of school, for both the night and dayclass. I've recovered a lot since then. Rido is gone, and Yuki is back to normal.

I agreed on going to class, so I got dressed. I walked with Zero to the first class of the day. When I walked in, something felt off.

"Are you ok?"
Zero asked

"Yeah."
I said, faking a smile.

I sat down at my desk, taking out my book. It feels weird being back at school like nothing happened. All the humans went on with their lives because, according to them, it was just a normal couple of weeks.

"Good morning, class."
The teacher said, walking in.
"Turn to page 104 in your textbooks-"

I stopped listening after that.
A lot of minutes passed as the bell rang. When I blinked, the class was empty.

I looked around to see Zero shaking my shoulder.
"Are you sure you're ok?"
He asked

"Yeah,"
I said
"Why?"

I looked down to see strange drawings in my notebook. It was like scribbles, but somehow, it made a picture.
Zero looked at me, worried as we walked to our next class.

Time skip🦃

The school day ended, and everyone went to the crossover. I had to be there, so I quickly made my way over.

A few minutes passed, and the nightclass came out.
Kaname looked at me, smiling before walking past.

"Hello, Yuki."
I said as she walked past

"Hi (Y/n)"
She said, smiling
"Good to see you,"

"I'm glad you're back,"
I said as she walked away.

After the crossover, it was time for Patrol. Zero took the dayclass route, and I took the nightclass.

I walked around the building, not seeing anything. I sighed, it's a peaceful night.

I sat down against a tree and looked up at the stars. One thing that hasn't changed.
I miss life as a human, I would've been asleep by now, but since becoming a monster in human form, I haven't slept much.
Time goes by so quickly now.

"You done patrolling?"
A voice asked behind me

"Yeah."
I said
"I can't focus anyway,"

"Whats on your mind?"
Zero asked, sitting down in front of me.

"I dont know,"
I said, looking down
"Vampires, how everything is back to normal, school."

"I see."
Zero said
"I've been feeling the same way,"

I looked up at Zero to see him staring at the stars. I threw my head back against the tree, closing my eyes.

"Hey (Y/n)..."
Zero said slightly on edge
"Did you hear that?"

"Hear what?"
I asked, opening my eyes and looking at him

"It's probably nothing."
He said, sighing
"I just heard a-"

He was cut off by a scream. It sounded like a young girl's scream. We both quickly stood up and looked at each other.

We nodded before running in the direction the sound came from. We followed it to the outside bathroom of the girls.

"I'll go in."
I said, slowly opening the door.

The second I did a strong smell entered my nose...blood
I tried turning on the light, but it wouldn't work. The only thing allowing me to see was the moonlight shining in.

I saw a girl on top of another girl. One was wearing a school uniform, and the other wasn't.

The girl turned her head, revealing red eyes and blood-soaked clothes. She lunged at me, making my back hit the wall.

"Close the door."
I yelled to Zero
"It's a-"

I was cut off by the vampire... smelling me. Her head twitched to the side as she brought her mouth closer to my neck.

I grabbed her hair, pulling her off of me. I pinned her against the floor with her hands above her head. She pulled around, trying to get out of my grip

"Zero"
I called out

The door opened, and Zero walked in, the smell of blood taking him back.

"It's a Level-E"
I said as Zero grabbed his throat.

"Fuck"
He whispered under his breath
"What will we do?"

"I dont know..."
I said
"Take the girl to the headmaster, I'll take care of the Level-E"

Zero quickly picked her up and walked out. I looked back down to the Level-E.

"You poor thing"
I said
"Not a single ounce of humanity in you"

"Get off"
The girl tried to reason in a dry voice.

"Who are you?"
I asked letting go of her arms.

She just growled at me before lunging forwards. I blocked her way out, so she went back to the floor where the girl was laying. She desperately licked the blood that spilled on the floor

"That's disgusting,"
I said, walking over to her.

I extended my arm to try and touch her by she grabbed me, plunging her fangs into my skin.

I winced at the sudden force. I went into my knees as the Level-E drank my blood. I tried to pull away, but she wouldn't let go.

In a matter of seconds, the Level-E disintegrated in front of me. I looked behind me to see Kaname leaning against the wall.

"Thanks."
I said, standing up. My wound slowly started to heal... slower than usual

"Why did you let that disgrace of vampires live so long?"

"I didn't want to kill it,"
I said
"I pity it."

"Don't."
He said, helping me up
"They don't deserve your pity."