Chapter 20 - exposed

Right Prime Minister's Mansion, Study Room

For a whole night, Xue Cen kneeled on the cold floor tiles with his robes lifted, facing Xue Youxiang, who sat on the seat with frosty temples but was still dignified. He still said the same sentence: "Grandfather, my grandson wants to marry Miss Yu Er." ."

Xue Youxiang leaned on a glossy red sandalwood cane with his palms folded, his beard moved slightly, and he didn't say a word.

Father Xue, who was standing on the sidelines, asked in a deep voice: "Can you tell me clearly, which girl from the Yu family do you want to marry?"

"Second Miss Yu, second sister," Xue Cen said clearly.

Father Xue couldn't help being furious.

The two families acquiesced in his marriage with Yu Xinyi, but he wanted to compete with the crown prince for a woman; why marry the second girl, Yu?

"Niezi!" Father Xue raised his palm high towards his son.

"Wait." Xue Youxiang spoke, and the raised palm paused in the air with just two words.

Father Xue's cheeks fluttered, but he finally retreated to his side with lowered hands, bowed, and said, "Yes, Father."

The old man with white hair and chicken skin stood up with a cane. He was over sixty years old, but he was still tall and straight, exuding the majesty and nobility that had been immersed in officialdom for many years.

He looked at his most proud grandson for a long time and slowly exhaled: "You can marry the second girl of the Yu family."

"Grandfather." Xue Cen immediately raised his head, and a gleam of joy flashed across his reddish eyes.

"But you have to remember, as a courtier, you must never lose your loyalty."

Xue Youxiang looked at Xue Cen with his deep and hearty eyes and said in a hoarse voice unique to elderly people, "If you marry her, you will owe His Highness the Crown Prince a favor."

There was something in the grandfather's words. Xue Cen asked: "What do you mean?"

"General Yu is the head of the military generals and holds a heavy army, but he has never been subordinated to the Eastern Palace."

After a pause, Xue Youxiang turned around and looked at the words "Loyal and Benevolent Founder" bestowed by the emperor on the beam of the study, "In recent years, there have been rumors in the court that the elders will be abandoned and the younger ones will be replaced. After marrying the Yu family, you need to spare no effort to cooperate." Let the two families assist the prince."

Hearing this, Xue Cen was stunned.

He was so smart, how could he not know that his grandfather asked him to use his marriage with Yu Lingxi to win the Yu family into the crown prince's camp?

Everyone always thought that Grandfather, as the head of civil servants, was always strict and indifferent and never participated in party disputes. It seems that this is not the case.

This is a marriage of interests that was calculated long ago.

No matter who the Xue family or the prince marries, it is to bring the power of the general's mansion into the palm of the prince.

"Grandfather, is it the prince's party?" Xue Cen asked awkwardly.

"You can say yes, or you can say no."

Xue Youxiang said, "Strictly speaking, this old man is a party that defends the world's orthodoxy and respects ethics and morality. The crown prince is the eldest son of the emperor and the future son of heaven. He should be loyal to the emperor and support him."