Chapter 67: Warm Couch

The Forbidden Army cleaned up the inside and outside of Ziying Hall, and more than ten oxcarts were piled with corpses.

  Most of the dead were rebels driven by profit, but many were not.

  But what does that matter?

  The "rebels" knew that there was no way to survive, so it was understandable that they "accidentally injured" several queens or the emperor's cronies when they jumped over the wall in a hurry.

  The emperor's vitality was severely injured, and he was frightened and lay on the bed, recuperating in Changyang Palace north of the imperial city.

  It is said to be recuperating, but in fact it is tantamount to running away in a hurry.

  No matter how ferocious the wolf is, he will eventually grow old and his fangs will be broken. In this game of fighting between father and son, the price he paid was too great.

  In the palace, Yu Huanchen clasped his fists and said, "I led the troops into the palace without the three-party talisman. It violated military discipline. Please be punished by your majesty."

  "Young general, I will protect you wholeheartedly. There are extenuating circumstances; I will pardon your innocence."

  The emperor behind the curtain sat up, his voice hoarse and tired: "Today, the traitor promised to win over Li Mao's Beiya Imperial Guards with the title of prince and marquis. I was forced to go to the palace during the winter festival. Fortunately, the general and his daughter sacrificed their lives to protect each other, so I was able to survive this disaster safely. I will keep it in my heart and will definitely reward you loyal and good generals!"

  Yu Huanchen knew this was an excellent opportunity, and he quietly glanced at his father.

  Yu Yuan endured the pain on his body, lifted his clothes and knelt down: "It is my duty to perform my duties loyally, not to mention that your Majesty is kind and wise and has God's blessing. I dare not take credit and ask for reward. It's just that I am old. I am weak, weak and sickly. If your Majesty can allow my daughter, Cheng Huan, to share a family relationship with you, I will burst into tears of gratitude."

  How could the emperor not know that Yu Yuan wanted him to withdraw the marriage proposal?

  But Jun Wu said that taking back his fate at this time is tantamount to admitting that he was wrong.

  The emperor pondered for a moment and said, "Yu Qing is too modest! In ancient times, there were generals who were seventy years old and fought in armor. Yu Qing was loyal and courageous in the prime of his life. It is too early to talk about family relationships now. It's snowy and cold, so Yu Qing went back to rest early. I will discuss with the Ministry of Rites tomorrow and discuss the merits and rewards!"

  Actually, he pretended not to understand and passed the matter off.

  After leaving Changyang Palace, Yu Yuan felt heavy in his mind.

  He walked down the white jade steps like a ladder to heaven and asked his son, "What happened when the Seventh Prince came to the Ziying Palace to rescue him today?"

  Yu Huanchen understood. My father was asking those servants and ministers who were "sacrificed."

  Some of them were close associates of the emperor and the empress, and some... were officials who participated in or took over the case of "Concubine Li's absconding and assassination" six years ago.

  And Yu Huanchen controlled the remnants of the rebel party and was only a few feet away from Ziying Palace, so he had a chance to stop them.

  But he didn't.

  After this palace change, I am afraid that the court will no longer be the same as it is today.

  Yu Huanchen chose to believe his sister and said, "I can't explain it in one or two sentences. Father might as well go back and ask Suisui."

  The father and son never expected that Suisui would disappear.

  Hu Tao knelt in the hall; the back of his neck was purple, and he was already crying.

  "The gangsters took advantage of us to rush out and the defense of the Yu Mansion was relaxed. They first knocked out the maid and then kidnapped Suisui."

  Yu Xinyi's eyes were bloodshot and he said angrily, "Let me find out who the bastard is, and I'll cut him into pieces!"

  Yu Huanchen calmed down and stepped forward to check on Hu Tao. He looked at the bruises on the back of his neck and then asked, "Did you leave any evidence of kidnapping?"

  Hutao sobbed: "I have searched everywhere, but there is no kidnapping note left."

  "Looking at Hutao's injuries, the criminal must have hit him several times before killing him