Chapter 39: Unseen Adversary

(Today was the funeral of late chief Ushiki Daisuke. Everybody were all seen dress in black. Kaaru also attended the funeral, seen on his mask and hood. He stared at the grave while reminding him of his parents. Some hours later, everyone were little as the population were reducing little by little, Tan, Yu, Suzuki and Omura were the only ones left)

OMURA: So sad to see this.

YU: Why did XO left so early?

OMURA: Who cares about him? Maybe business to attend.

SUZUKI: (Step forward while heading to the grave) Chief, I wish we can just see you again. (as she brought a flower and drops it on the ground)

TAN: Yeah. But he's definitely watching us. (He said while looking at Suzuki)

??: Of course he is.

(This made the four of them surprised to hear that voice and turned around to see the person)

TAN: Mrs Kana.

KANA: Tan, it's so good to see you already grown up. You know you see to be my husband's favorite.

TAN: Yes ma.

KANA: So do you have a feeling of replacing him?

(After saying that, Omura, Yu and Suzuki were astonished)

TAN: Ma, what are you talking about?

KANA: I know what I'm talking about. I know all you want is to replace him as the chief.

TAN: That will be a big struggle for me, Mrs Kana. The only thing I want to do is to live the way I am now.

KANA: Well you are saying you don't want to be.

TAN: I can't tell, only the future can. You have to be what you want to be now and leave your big dreams aside.

KANA: You know I want you to replace him. You can be the chief.

TAN: Your husband was like a father to me. After my parents died, he took care of me, train me and made me a detective.

KANA: He really trained you well. Do what is best for you and make a decision. (She said as she was about to leave) Have a nice day all of you. (Left the scene)

TAN: (sighed)

OMURA: It's okay, Tan.

TAN: What Mrs Kana said was right. I want to replace chief because he told me to do so before he died.

(There was flashback)

(It took him to Ushiki's office, where Tan was seen seated on a chair as the two were drinking wine)

USHIKI: It's a good thing to have you in my office, Tan. (Gives him a glass of wine)

TAN: It's anything wrong if I may ask.

USHIKI: What, no. Not at all. Okay let me tell you. You wonder or imagine... Wait let me take this drink first. (As he pours the bottle of wine into his glass cup and drinks it. After that, he drops it on the table and continues) So how you imagine if I die, who's gonna replace me?

TAN: Yeah, but not all the time. But chief why you say such thing like that, are you gonna die?

USHIKI: Anything can happen. I'm only fifty seven years and I'm supposed to retire at this age.

TAN: Yeah. Well I don't know who's gonna be  but--

USHIKI: (Interrupted) It's you.

TAN: Huh? Me?