The final

Fuut! Fuut! The final whistle goes meaning the 2023 World Cup final is over. I fall to the ground while I hear people celebrationing around me.

Back to the present:
Today is the day of the world cup final we play against Spain as they have beaten Sweden 2-1 in the semi-final. I step into the elevator to go down to the dinnerroom for breakfast, while doing so I scroll through the good luck messages from friends and family. The elevator pings and moves a floor lower, the elevator pings again as the doors open and someone steps in but I dont pay them attention as I am too focused on my phone. 'Not being very social are we?' The person asks, I look up suprised when I hear Leah her voice 'Oh hi.. Yeah sorry, I was just focused' I say giving her an apologetic smile 'I could see that' Leah says chuckling, I put my phone in my pocket so I can give Leah my full attention. 'Excited for today?' I ask 'Yes but also anxious, you?' She answers 'Same, it still feels unreal. I feel like I made my debut yesterday and now we are in the final of the world cup' I explain 'But Le, no need to feel insecure you of all people got this' I pull her into a hug 'You think so?' She asks looking at me 'No' Leah looks at me with a frown 'I know you got this' Leah smiles and pecks my lips, Leah puts her hand in my neck to deepen the kiss but just as the kiss gets heated the elevator dings again and we are on the groundfloor, we step out into the lobby and walk to the dinningroom. 'Your weird english breakfast?' I ask Leah which makes her roll her eyes at me 'Yes please' Leah says and choices a table to sit at. I still don't understand how people can eat beans for breakfast, dinner I can undstand but breakfast?. I walk over to the tables with food and prepare a plate for Leah with eggs, beans and french toast and tea, for myself I make a smoothie bowl with fresh fruits, protein and oatmeal and grab a coffee. 'Here you go' I say as I put the plate down infront of Leah before I sit down next to her, she is sitting at a table with Lucy, Keira, Georgia, Rachel and Millie. 'Got yourself a butler Leah?' Georgia asks laughing 'I do more then a butler does' I say with a wink which makes Millie choke on her water and the others laugh hard while Leah snaps her head at me and gives me a stern glare. 'Y/n is just being nice' Leah says still having her gaze on me 'Sure she is' Rachel says with sarcasm and I hold in my laughter. The rest of breakfast is filled with jokes and chatting, it almost doesn't feel like we are playing a world cup final in a few hours.

I walk to the bus together with Bethany England when the media team asks us a question 'What do you have with you?' I hold up my cup and say smiling 'Hot choco with whipped cream' 'But it is summer?' The media person asks confused 'Somewhere in the world it is winter' I say and shrug my shoulders as response. 'What do you have Beth?' They ask Bethany 'Yorkshire tea because I am normal' Bethany says 'No because your boring' I say laughing before we enter the bus.
The vibe is different during the ride towards the stadium then it was during breakfast or when we went to other games this tournement. Normally Rachel and Millie would bring the jokes or someone would turn up the music and we all start singing along with the lyrics but today is different. Most people either have their headphones on and are in their own little worlds, some are on their phones and others have small conversation with the person next to them but overall it is very quiet in the bus. I belong to the group that has their headphones in and is in their own little world. It is weird because I don't really feel nerves, I actually feel more excited to play this game but somehow I still have this sort of knot in my stomach and my knee keeps bounching up and down. Almost every womens football fan will watch this match, it is the biggest match that takes place every 4 years in football in general. It could be the first time England women will win the world cup but also the first time since the men did it in 1966 so the pressure is high. Not the forget that we have already written history to make it into the final for the first time ever.

Once we arrive at the stadium we drop our things and walk out on the pitch for the pitch inspection. I walk on my own as I still have my airpods in looking around the stadium, seats in the stands still empty but most of them will be filled within a few hours or so and we will be standing here playing probably one of the most important matches of our lives. I am lost in thoughts when suddenly someone puts their arm around me and pulls me in a side hug, the arm is covered in a black blazer. We are wearing our blue tracksuit?. I look to my side and am met with Ona her lovely smile 'Hola y/n' Ona says 'Hola guapa' I reply happy to see her. 'Long time no see huh?' She says and I nod 'I miss being your roomie' I admit and she laughs 'Sí, I miss you too'. We stand there a little longer until we Ona says 'How are you and Leah?' I shrug 'Good, we are.. good' I reply. What are Leah and I? Girlfriends? No, just friends? Also no. Fuck this is complicated. Ona eyes me suspiciously but let it go 'I think it is time for me to go inside again' Ona says as the Spanish players are heading inside, I nod 'Yeah.. good luck' I say as we give eachother a final goodbye 'You too' She says smiling 'Bye Ona' I say when she walks away 'Bye y/n'. Somehow this feels like a goodbye, I won't be seeing her after this daily and we grew closer over the past months. We became best friends and I am really going to miss her.