° CHAPTER 66

Early Stages of Empowerment

>>>>–––– ✨️ ––––<<<<

Kitta vandhuten ma, nee anga ulla ye nillu

Tara hummed as she hung up on Vikram's call.

The sun began its descent, casting hues of pink and orange across the sky as Tara stood at the bus stop. She glanced around, observing people driving with a sense of freedom that intrigued her. The gentle hum of engines, the honking of horns—it all spoke of a world beyond her reach.

How nice it would be to drive and go anywhere at anytime she likes? It's not that she didn't like having Vikram pick her up everyday, she just wished that she could do it on her own.

It was an empowerment she yearned for and couldn't quite explain it, simmered within her, though the memory of Akshara's accident cast a shadow on that dream. Because her mother, a staunch protector, had forbidden her from even learning to drive.

Lost in her contemplation, Vikram's arrival interrupted her musings. The familiar purr of his car brought her back to reality. As she hopped into the passenger seat, the city lights began to sparkle, mirroring the questions glittering in her eyes.

Vikram noticed Tara being silent, that was not a good thing. He bit his lower lips and his fingers drummed the steering wheel as he thought of a conversation.

So, wedding preparations are going well, 

Vikram announced, Tara's eyes still on road. The impending nuptials loomed in the air, and Tara could almost taste the nervousness. They were about to embark on the rollercoaster of a wedding.

Meenakshi, hesitant about organizing a grand celebration, was afraid of facing relatives. The prospect of adjusting with a plethora of relatives left her unsettled. Therefore compiling with her wish, they are going to do just an register marriage. Tara wondered silently about Vikram and Saranya's sacrifices in this ordeal. If it wasn't for her mother or her, he would have at least gotten a normal wedding that he deserved. She was totally against it but agreed only for Vikram.

Sikiramave wedding shopping lam ponnumnu Saranya ma sonnanga

You know we don't really have to

Vikram frowned at Tara, he understood what she was meaning to and it exhausted him.

Tara, I'm doing this because I want to, not because I have to.

His gaze briefly met hers before focusing back on the road. There was an unspoken understanding between them before they both burst out laughing. Tara shook her head, raising her hands in the air, surrendering to his grave face,

Seri seri, okay. Chumma dhan sonnen. Odhane andha angry bird mooku'ku kovam vandhurum

Vikram shot her a sidelong glance, his lips twisted in a mix of annoyance and amusement. Tara, undeterred, sighed and casually settled into her seat, crossing her legs. While her gaze wandered over the passing vehicles, a sudden recollection sparked in her mind.

Appo enakaga innoru vishiyam pannuviya?

Illana mattum nee vitruvae paaru?

Vikram mumbled but Tara heard it earning him a smack on his shoulder. 

Valikidhu ma!

Po ya!

Tara expressed her frustration with a grumpy huff, folding her arms defiantly. Vikram, noticing her displeasure, emitted a small hiss before attempting to cajole her.

Seri sorry ma, sollu

Maaten

Sollu ma

Maaten!

Yedhavadhu saapadhu venuma?

Illa

Yedhavadhu things vanganuma?

Illa!

Vikram took a moment to ponder before leaning in closer to Tara. In a whisper, as though conveying a secret that someone might hear even though it was only the two of them iside the car, he whispered,

Sarakka?

The tiger cub within Tara shot a fierce glare at Vikram, prompting him to quickly retreat to his composed driving stance. Seizing the opportunity, he intentionally picked up speed, perhaps aiming for a getaway. Unfazed, Tara twitched her lips and let out an audible huff, ensuring Vikram was well aware of her discontent.

Adhan sorry soltenla? Sollalame?

Vikram playfully whined, adopting a childlike demeanor. Suppressing a grin, Tara bit her inner cheek, maintaining an air of casual indifference as she responded,

Enaku drive panna sollita

The car slowed at a red light, and Vikram turned to Tara, his eyes widening in surprise. 

Drive'ah?

Tara nodded, determination and excitement gleaming in her eyes. 

I want to feel that freedom, Vikram. I want to learn to drive. 

A proud smile graced Vikram's face as he witnessed Tara emerging from the shell of inhibition she had grown up in, bravely stepping into the realm of her dreams, be it small or big. What brought even more joy to him was the fact that she wanted him to be an integral part of this journey. In that moment, he felt a profound connection, a shared adventure that transcended the simple act of learning to drive. It was a glimpse into the unfolding chapters of their lives, each page etched with newfound confidence and shared aspirations.

Vera yenna lam pannuvinga?

Tara made a thinking face before she explained,

Aprom driving license yedhuthu, en kaasula oru car vanganum. Yeppa yenga venalum jolly'ah free'ya poganum

Unga car'la enaku yedham irukuma?

Irukum irukum, oru orama illana dikki'la utkandhuko

Vikram laughed and the traffic light turned green, his fingers drumming the steering wheel he cheerfully said,

Adhu podhunga madam, ana na konjam strict'ana teacher paravalaya?

Paravala paravala, enga amma'vaye samalichiten

Adhu vera, Na vera

Vera na?

Anga inga kai padhum paravala'ya?

Tara's tiger cub, made a reappearance, causing Vikram to look away sheepishly. The memory of the bite mark on his right forearm, a consequence of teasing her about height by calling her 'short', lingered as a reminder not to provoke the feisty side of Tara. Unwilling to incur another retaliation, Vikram wisely chose to remain silent as he continued to navigate through the traffic.

Yes, this is the same man that had anger issues and went through therapy to fix it.

Vikram?

Sollu ma

Ana ennala mudhiyum'ah?

Vikram smiled, and looked at Tara. She was curiously looking at him, waiting for an answer. 

Tara ivlo'vum thaniya dhane pannae? Idhellam oru vishiyama? Unaku drive pannanumlae?

Tara nodded her head eagerly. Vikram chuckled before he entwined their hands and pecked the back of her hand.

Adha mattum nyabagam vechiko

Tara excitedly smiled, not knowing that this subtle decision of hers was going to be a lifesaver one day.

>>>>–––– ✨️ ––––<<<<

Enaku theriyum, register marriage vechadhuku neengalam kaluvi utha poringanu , ana indha story'ku adhan nalla irukum. adhunala author escape🏃‍♀️