THE EMPRESS-IN-WAITING~ I

𝘼𝙐𝘿𝙍𝙀𝙔💕

I steadied my feet, holding firmly onto the steel gold plated steps of the ladder, trying my best not to fall off and have Elijah run back in and scold me for taking such a risk. Being introduced to my Queen's man three days into my stay was certainly something new to get used to. Elijah was like an overprotective older brother of some sort.

He followed me everywhere apart from in my chambers unless I asked him to come in and even then he would insist on not going further that the entrance, I found it odd but somehow i knew it was all the doing of my very protective Alpha fiance who I was yet to see today. Most of the time I found Elijah rather annoying. Either he insisted on doing things-I could easily do myself for me or he had the numerous castle guards do them instead.

For example one beautiful warm afternoon I had decided to take a stroll in the garden because I had practically been buried in books all week and was in dire need of some fresh air.

To my dismay Elijah was right there, walking a few feet away from me, a frown permanently etched on my face. I had reached to touch an orange but before the pads of my fingers could graze the body of the fruit a glove clad hand plucked it out and dropped it in a basket which I had only now realised was being held by a guard who stood beside Elijah. One of the numerous ones who had been stationed everywhere, just watching ahead like if they looked anywhere else they would be instantly released from their duties. It was strange and unnerving

"Elijah" I called out, turning to face him and the guard who were watching me, waiting for further instructions to be given.

"My queen?" He answered, gazing at me, probably trying to read my facial expressions.

"Why did you do that? I could have picked the orange myself" I frowned, pressing my lips together as I stared at the lonely orange that sat in the basket.

"Ah my queen, there is no need. We are here to assist and do such tasks for you, so you needn't worry yourself. If you want anymore orange we will pluck them and have them cut and sent to your study" he spoke with a proud smile to which I responded to with a blank stare.

Needleess to say I did not go for any more walks after that. It was all so overwhelming and I needed time to adjust to the idea of things being like this everytime, well unless I was in my chambers or with the king.

My eyes drifted to the old binding that decorated the book I had been looking for. Smiling proudly to myself and patting my back I pulled the book out, with no regard for the other books that were closely stacked to it. Books came crashing down, their hard covers hitting the ground and making multiple thuds against the wooden floor boards making me wince as I watched them. I knew what would soon follow

As if on cue immediately the last book hit the ground the door came flying open and Elijah appeared, fear and caution guarding his erratic silver grey gaze as they go straight to my form that was still on the ladder. I bit my lower lip, feeling like a child who had just been caught stealing from the cook jar. I guess sending him on a wild goose chase to find my "missing ruby and emerald encrusted necklace" that did not exist was not enough to keep him away.

I cleared my throat awkwardly, trying to relieve the tension in the air. I already anticipated Elijah reporting this to Darius and the amusement that would cloud his gorgeous dark irises. Oh how I missed my king.

"Before you say anything Elijah, this was all really the dusty old shelf's fault and not mine" I lied, carefully placing one foot after the other as I began my decent down the ladder.

I cautiously walk around the fallen books and place the book I has found with the rest of the ones I had gotten.

Without waiting for his words I squatted down and began packing them up, sneezing profusely when the dust clouded my nostrils.