EMPRESS-IN-WAITING~ 3

Elijah's footsteps echoed across the room as he carried the tray of tea into Audrey's chambers. As usual he stops at the door, leaving one of the chamber maids to bring it further in. She drops the tray on the table and as she picks up the tea kettle Audrey notices the subtle trembling of her hands as she pours some tea into the two cups.

          From the corner of her eye she could see the Oracle watching the poor chamber maid with annoyance, as if waiting for her to drop the cup for at the rate at which she was trembling it wouldn't be long before she actually drops it. Without giving it so much as a second thought Audrey reaches forward and takes hold of both cups, the one for herself and the other for the Oracle. With a warm smile Audrey dismisses the maid who looked so relieved she saw her let out a heavy sigh before scurrying off. Audrey gently places one cup into the Oracle's hands and takes her cup.

She sips from it, staring at the suddenly very interesting floor design as she felt the Elder's gaze on her. Had she done something wrong by helping the maid? Was I considered uncultured? Elijah had mentioned previously that royals are not to associate with the commoners nor palace workers, that it in his own words 'taints the stainless, untouchable and unattainable image of the Royal's

"Audrey" her voice came, sharp and demanding as usual but this time it held a hint of warmth to it. "What do you believe is the most important trait in a ruler?"

Audrey turned to the Elder, admittedly caught off by the question Audrey simply gaped at her, partially open lips and all.
"Do not leave your mouth open child, it is uncultured" she scolds, her piercing gaze narrowing in on Audrey's lips and immediately they snap shut.

Audrey swallows, falling into a thoughtful silence. "Compassion and the possession of a good heart" she hesitates, awaiting the Elder's reaction but she remained still, digesting Audrey's words.

Perhaps she had misspoke or spoke too quickly. She waited, shifting uncomfortably under the intense silence, Audrey was no stranger to the Elder's mysterious ways.
The Elder slowly took a sip from her cup before she turned to Audrey "Compassion will not nearly be enough if you wish to rule this kingdom"
"Making life changing decisions for millions of people is no small feat, all their lives are in your hands. One misstep and it will all come crashing down, the pressure is maddening"

Audrey inhales a shaky breath, her palms becoming clammy with anxiety. Was she trying to scare her away?. She had shown support for their alliance in the past but maybe Audrey had read her indifference wrongly, maybe she just did not wish to upset Darius with her dissaproval. Maybe she was finally showing how she truly felt about everything. Audrey sat there, her mind racing and the screws in her head turning, she wondered what do I say?

"I do not believe you are ready for this, for what is in store for you. Do you wish to leave now I will not stop you, rest assured. I will speak to his majesty and he will go on, however heartbroken he will do what is best for the Empire"

Audrey gaped at her, wondering if the words she had heard were truly coming from the Oracle's lips. She was advising her to run away, to leave everything and just go. To leave Darius and all their memories. Was this some kind of threat under the guise of concern or was this a subtle threat? Audrey was uncertain.

Audrey pushes herself to her feet, placing the cup down on the table she turns to the elder, her face a mixture of confusion and hurt

"I am unsure if I should be offended by your words. Maybe you only wish to protect your kingdom and ensure prosperity but you will have to get used to me being around because I will not be going anywhere, ever. I am here to stay with Darius and beside him I will stand."