EMPRESS-IN-WAITING~6

The once radiant blue firmaments were dimming into darker skies, the day drifting into the horizon as they began their journey back to the palace. They didn't have to wait long, the crownsmith only needed to polish the crown and they were set.

Anaise had only caught a glimpse of the crown but it was more than enough to leave her stunned and speechless. It was beautiful, bedazzled with jewels and diamonds of different sizes, the shimmer of the crown was enough to leave Anaise buzzing with want, wanting to touch it, to feel it. Her hands itchen to gently place the delicate diamond on her head and prance around as a queen. But she quickly came down from that high, it was Astrid's dream not hers.

A cheeky smile melted against Anaise's face as she recalled their chess game. She had won him easily, maybe he was taking it easy on her. The sight of his plummeted brows and pursed lips as he stared in hard concentration at the board. Every single time Anaise achieved one of his pawns his lips will stew into a pout that remained till the game was over. Now it was time for her to choose what she would win and Ryker was whispering silent prayers under his breath that whatever she asked for would benefit them both.

He took it as a sign of some sort, if she asked for the right thing then it would prove he was on the right path and he was not foolish for considering this a second chance.

They sat in comfortable silence, the carriage rocking back and forth with subtle stumbling on rocks or stones as it rode past the King's Road. The King's road was the only properly tarred road, it was used by the Marshals to convey grains and cash crops. It held promise of no hurdles nor startling bumps on the way. As Ryker peaked down at where he and Anaise's hands were placed side by side he couldn't help but feel the need to touch her, even if his gloved hand wouldn't let him properly feel her skin against his he was certain the heat would certainly penetrate but the electrifying shock wouldn't be felt. Anaise was still unaware of their mate bond but he could tell from their previous encounters that she could feel it in some depth as well so all hope was shot lost after all.

Gradually he lifted his hand and just before he could place it atop hers the carriage jerked violently, sending Anaise thrusting into Ryker who readily opened his arms for her to land safely. The carriage slowed to a stop, falling lumpsided to the right, the wheel definitely broken off. Anaise blinked, her heart racing at the shock that had just send her flying into Lord Ryker. As she turned to face him she only now realised how close they were, impossibly close. So close that she could feel his warm breath against her cheeks. She swallowed nervously, her lips parting slightly. Ryker's eyes devoured the action shamelessly, peculiar list filled violet orbs radiating heat and desire as he stared, her lips the only thing on his mind at the moment.

"Are you okay?" Ryker asks, his eyes glancing around her face

Anaise sighs, "Yes, I-i'm fine"

A loud poorly muffled groan reached their ears and they both immediately snapped out of it.

The dull thud of something heavy followed and Ryker knew someth was wrong. He could hear footsteps on the gravel and they were approaching, quickly so he turns to Anaise who had wide eyes tight with fear.

Her gaze finds his reassuring ones as he palms her cheeks, "Nothing will happen to you. I am here with you, wait here with the crown. I will go out and check"

He pulls away but she grabs hold of his hand, making him turn to her, "Be careful, please" concern washes over her features and he nods, gently caressing her hand before he slips out of the carriage.

Anaise watches from the door as Ryker comes face to face with a masked man. He had a small dagger in his hand that didn't look lethal but could tear through skin. Ryker approaches the masked man with caution, his hand already on his sword. Form the corner of his eye he spots the body of the coachman sprawled on the floor, his neck had been slit and blood oozed unto the ground. Ryker snatches his eye away just in time to dodge the dagger that had been swung at him. Anaise slaps a hand on her mouth, trying to resist making noise as fear gripped her right in its cruel constraints. Her heart thumped wildly in her chest as she watched Ryker gracefully pull out his sword fluently like one who had done it hundred of times before. with that same grace he blocks all the attacks aimed at him by the masked man, occasionally swiping at him as well. From the look of Ryker's fighting stance and his moves he was not trying to injure the mall but rather he looked to defend himself.