Steve💚

Just Driving

"Wanna drive?" Steve asked me, holding out his car keys and jingling them. I looked down at my feet, driving the toe of my shoe into the pavement. Steve took a step towards me, his arm dropping to his side.

"What's wrong, Y/n?" He asked me. I was scared to say it, scared to admit my secret. I was seventeen and I didn't have my license. Everyone else I knew got their license at sixteen, and here I was, a few months away from my eighteenth birthday without my driver's license. I looked up at him, ashamed.

"I don't know how to drive. I don't have my license." I admitted. His brows furrowed in confusion.

"No one ever taught you?" He asked. I shook my head no. He smiled slightly and took my hand, putting his car keys in my palm. He then leaned in and gave me a peck on the lips.

"Well, Y/n/n, it's your lucky day," He said. I smiled brightly.

"I'm going to teach you how to drive." He said, smiling. I jumped into his arms, hugging him tightly.

"Thank you, Stevie! You don't know how much this means to me," I exclaimed. He wrapped his arms around me, resting his head in the crook of my neck. When we pulled away I ran to the driver's side, slipping into the seat. Steve slid into the passenger seat and buckled up.

"You never wear your seatbelt," I commented, and he looked up at me, like he didn't think I'd notice. I laughed.

"Jeez, Stevie. Have some confidence in me," I said. I stuck the key in the ignition and started the car.

"Okay, press the clutch, and shift into first," Steve said, putting his hand over mine on the shifter. I did as he said, and eventually we were driving down the streets of Tulsa.

"You're a good teacher," I said, glancing at him and smiling.

"It's not my first time teaching someone how to drive," He replied.

"Oh, yeah?" I asked.

"I've been teaching Pony." He said, looking out the window. I smacked his arm playfully.

"Hey! Ten and two, Y/n." He lectured. I returned my right hand to the wheel.

"And I thought you despised Ponyboy," I said. Steve rolled his eyes.

"He's an okay kid I guess," Steve muttered.

"He's a sweet boy," I said. Steve gave me a dirty look.

"Not as sweet as you, Stevie." I assured. Steve smiled. I was coming up to a stop sign.

"Clutch then break," I pressed the clutch down with the wrong foot, and suddenly the stop sign was approaching faster.

"Clutch then break, Y/n!" Steve said, fear coloring his voice. I pressed down on the clutch then jammed on the break. We both jerked forward. I was slightly over the white line, and I felt my cheeks begin to burn, and tears stung my eyes.

"I'm sorry, Stevie, I-I didn't mean to," I couldn't continue to talk as a lump rose in my throat. I expected Steve to lecture me, or even yell about how I could have ruined his car. But he didn't. He put his hand over mine on the wheel. He ran his thumb over my knuckles.

"It's okay, darling. It takes time. Driving is hard," he explained. When I didn't look at him he grabbed my chin and gently turned my head to face him. He leaned over and kissed me quickly.

"Let off the brake, let up on the clutch and press the gas down. Turn your directional off once you've conquered the turn," He said, sitting back against his seat. I did as he said, and continued to drive.

"Ten and Two," He commented, smiling to himself. I realized I had been running my fingertips over my lips. I blushed.

"You're real cute when you're flustered Y/n," Steve said, resting a hand on my thigh. I glanced at him, and smiled. I ended up getting my license, all thanks to Steve. He was patient with me, and teaching my how to drive became something we did every afternoon. Steve supported me the whole way, and he was the best friend and boyfriend anyone could ever ask for.