Dal🖤

Don't Assume

"Wanna go down to the drive-in? Just you and me?" Dal asked. I looked up at him from his chest. I fidgeted with his medallion.

"I can't tonight. Sorry, lovey. I have to study for midterms." The lie slipped off my tongue easily, and although I felt guilty for lying to Dal I had to. Soda and I locked eyes for a moment and he gave me a slight nod. Dally sighed and pulled me tighter to his chest.

"Okay, doll. Maybe tomorrow night?" He asked, gazing down at me. I melted into his chest.

"Tomorrow night works for me," I replied, giving him a peck on the lips.

"Perfect." He said, giving me that loving smile only I ever got to see. It was the most beautiful smile I had ever seen, and I hoped that he would smile like that more. Dal dropped me off at home and I had time to change into a nice t-shirt and jeans before Soda picked me up. I jogged out to his truck and jumped in before anyone could see us. That could lead to problems I didn't need to face.

"Good evening, Ms. Y/l/n." Soda said, grinning at me. I smiled.

"Good evening, Mr. Curtis." I replied. He drove us to a diner and we got a table in the corner against the window. Soda convinced me that there was no way Dal or anyone that didn't know what we were up to would see us. I pulled out my clipboard as Soda ordered us milkshakes. He leaned forward, trying to read my writing upside down.

"So it will be at your house, at two in the afternoon? We all know Dal isn't a morning person." I said. He smiled.

"Yeah, I talked to Darry and Two. We can set up while you guys walk over. You just have to drag the walk out." Soda replied. I nodded.

"So chocolate cake, per usual. And what should we do for drinks?"

"Obviously chocolate cake. And Pepsis or something like that would be good." Soda said. I scribbled down 'Pepsi'. I let out a sigh after the waitress delivered our milkshakes. Soda sipped on his while giving me a concerned look.

"What's wrong, Y/n/n?" He asked.

"What if Dal hates it? What if he gets mad and hates it all?" I ask, tears pricking my eyes. Soda reached across the take and took my hand.

"He will love it. He loves everything you do for him." He assured me. I smiled, my tears receding. Soda was my best friend, and he was always good at assuring me.

"What the fuck, Y/n?" A booming voice called from the door. Soda looked over his shoulder as Dally stormed over. He took his hand back. I turned my clipboard over in hopes to save the surprise.

"Hey, man. It's not what it looks like." Soda said, trying to calm Dallas down. He glared down at Soda.

"Bullshit. Do I look stupid to you?" Dally snarled.

"Dal it's not like that. We were working on something." I said, hoping it didn't sound suspicious.

"You said you had to study, Y/n. You lied." His voice cracked on the last word and it was a jab to my heart.

"I lied for a good reason!" I shot back. Dally glared at me, and I realized I was crying.

"Yeah? Then what's the fucking good reason?" Soda stood between us, ready to hold Dallas back if he needed to. I snatched the clipboard off the table and stood in front of him, glaring up at him. Soda watched nervously.

"I wanted to throw you a surprise eighteenth birthday party. I thought you deserved a nice birthday. I couldn't do it all on my own, so I asked Soda for help. What you saw was him assuring me that you wouldn't be mad. But I guess I don't have to worry about that now." I shoved the clipboard into his chest as I walked by him and out the door. Once I was on the sidewalk I ran.

"Y/n, wait!" Dally called, but I kept going. Dodging people, and wiping at the tears streaming down my face. I was hurt. Hurt that Dallas would think I'd do such a thing to him. I thought that he had trusted me. I thought that he knew me better than that. I couldn't fully blame him, though. I knew what he had been through had made it hard for him to trust anyone. I got to my porch and stopped running, taking a moment to catch my breath. I made my way to my door and unlocked it, stepping into the dark, silent house. I flicked the dining room light on, and then when to change. I was listening to the radio nodding along to the late night love songs as I  wrote down words to describe Dallas, when there was a knock on my door. I sighed and stood, hesitating before opening the door. Dally stood there on the porch. He gazed up at me for a moment before moving his gaze to my feet.

"Can I come in?" He asked. I stood there, staring at him for a moment before stepping to the side to let him in. I shut the door and followed him into my dining room. He stood there, gazing down at my paper. His eyes went from left to right, all the way down to the third to last line of the page.

Dallas Winston

Brave, Bold, Tough, Sweet, Caring, Funny, Untrusting, Impulsive, Handsome, Confident, Witty, Tuff, Strong, Loving.

I cleared my throat and his head snapped up, his eyes meeting mine.

"Y/n, I'm sorry. I jumped to conclusions and that was stupid of me. I know you wouldn't hurt me, and I know you would never cheat on me. I'm sorry for assuming. I want you to know that I trust you. More than I have ever trusted anyone. And to prove that I trust you, and love you, I want to give you my medallion. I know you will keep it safe, and it will remind you how much I love you. I am giving you this medallion as a token of my love and trust. I hope you can forgive me, angel." He said, stepping forward and reaching round my neck to hook it into place. It laid in the center of my chest, like it was meant to be there. Dally cupped my face and rested his forehead against mine.

"Can you forgive me?" He whispered.

"If you can stop assuming the worst, yes." I whispered back.

He kissed me, promising me he would stop assuming the worst.

"I love you, Y/n. I always will. I'm sorry I ruined the party."

"I love you too, Dal. It's okay. Me and Soda will figure something out." He smiled down at me, running his fingers along the chain of his medallion.

"It looks perfect on you." He said, kissing my forehead.

"It looked even better on you," I replied, causing his smile to grow wider.

"I don't know about that doll." He hugged me tight.

"Do you really think all of those words describe me?" He questioned.

"I do." He hugged me tighter. I helped Dal make a change for the better, without giving up his wit and humor. We would be okay, that was certain.

Sorry about the ending on this one. I hope you enjoyed it anyways. Dally is one of my favorite Greasers to Write about. :)