Two-Bit🩷

Waiting for you

I was digging in my bag while trying to watch where I was going. My keys were playing a frustrating game of hide and seek. I moved my pack of gum, and there were my keys. I smiled triumphantly. As I approached my house I saw a figure sitting on the steps. My porch light was on, and there was Two-Bit, illuminated by the dim orange light. I walked up to him, my keys dangling from my middle finger. He looked upset, out of place sitting on my doorstep in the more modern part of town. Two and I had been together for awhile, but never, in all the months we've been dating, has he been sitting on my steps when I arrived home.

"Hey, Two." I said, causing him to snap out of his thoughts. He looked up at me and forced a smile.

"Hey, baby." He replied. There was no emotion in his voice. The usual happy-go-lucky Two-Bit was replaced by a gloomy, upset Two. It was late, my shift ended at midnight, and I walked home with a switch blade in hand. Usually Two was passed out somewhere by now. I set my bag down, and then sat next to him on the third step.

"What's wrong?" I asked, nudging him with my knee. He leaned on me, his head heavy on my shoulder. I sat still, not wanting to ruin this moment. Not wanting to hurt him more.

"A lot." Was all he said. By now it was cold, goosebumps rose on my bare arms, and poked through my jeans.

"Let's go inside and talk." I suggested. He nodded. I stood first, holding my hand out to him. He took it and followed me inside. I flicked on my dim living room lamp, and motioned for him to sit down as I went to my room to change. I returned to the living room in sweatpants and a sweatshirt. I sat down next to him, letting him lay his head on my lap. I ran my fingers through his hair, and it took me a minute to realize that he was crying.

"Darling, what's wrong?" I asked. His eyes met mine, and a tear rolled down his cheek. I wiped it away before it made it into his hairline.

"Johnny and Dallas, Y/n. T-Their gone." He had to sit up to regain himself. He pulled me into his lap and held me tight.

"In one night. Both of em' dead." He sobbed into my shirt as the information sunk in. Johnny Cade and Dallas Winston. Dead. I held Two tight as tears stung my eyes. I was close with the gang, and Johnny was one of my best friends.

"I'm so sorry, Two. they didn't deserve that. I'm here, always." I sputtered through my tears.

"I love you, Y/n. I love you like I loved them. Tonight taught me that you can't take who you love for granted, because you never know what the future holds."  He said, his voice muffled against my shirt. I squeezed him, kissing his head. We lost two friends today, but we would help each other through it all. And someday, we would make peace with this, even if in this moment we felt like we wouldn't make it another hour.

"I love you too." I whispered in his ear. We held each other until dawn, and eventually we fell asleep, falling into relief.

I did not intend for this to be so sad. Sorry. I hope you enjoyed it anyway. :)