Chapter 4

Carter's POV

Two weeks. That's how long it had been since that night with Michael and he still hasn't called. Usually, I'd just make the first move but since he only had my number and I didn't have his, that was kind of hard. It wouldn't normally bother me but he's been on my mind every since that night. I've been trying to stay busy so I've been focusing more on work.

I was in my office at work, typing up a review of an album I had recently listened to. As I was typing, my phone started to ring but I was so engrossed in what I was doing, I decided to let it ring. The ringing eventually stopped and the machine came on.

Hi, this is Carter. Sorry I couldn't make it to the phone but please leave your name and number and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

Carter? Its Michael...

I immediately stopped typing and looked at the machine.

I know its been a long time since you've heard from me and Im sorry Its just I've been busy with work and all that....

I reached over and picked up the phone. "Hi, Michael."

"Carter," He sounded kinda surprised to hear my voice. "Did you hear my message?"

I nodded. "Yep, the whole thing. I was so busy working that I didn't answer and then I heard it was you."

"So, you only answered because it was me?"

"I guess you could say that" We laughed together.

"Im so sorry for not calling you. Work has been my main focus lately."

"Don't worry, I understand. You're Michael Jackson."

"Don't do that."

"Don't do what?"

"Make it seem like Im just a big deal."

"I don't know if you've realized it or not, but you are." I laughed.

"That's not what I meant," He chuckled. "Everyone treats me like that, I don't want you doing it too. You're not like everyone else."

Hearing him say that kind of gave me butterflies. I smiled and leaned back in my chair.

"Thanks. So what's up?"

"Well, I actually called to ask you something." He sounded nervous, which I thought was cute.

"What is it?"

"I wanted to know if you wanted to meet me for dinner. I would really like to get to know you more."

"Sure, I'd love to. Where at?"

"That's the thing. I don't like to go out so I was hoping you'd come here, to Neverland. I'll have my security pick you up."

"Um, ok. I don't get off work till 5 and then I have to go home and change."

"That's fine. I'll have my driver pick you up at....6:30?"

I nodded as if he could see me. "That's good. I'll see you tonight."

"Great. Bye Carter."

"Bye Michael."

I leaned over and put the phone back on the receiver. To say I was excited would have been an understatement. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 3:36pm. A little less than an hour and a half left, I thought. I could get through that.

When I say that was the longest hour and a half ever, Im not lying. When 5 finally came, I grabbed my coat and bag and walked out of my office. I almost made it to the door when Olivia stopped me.